HELP: Emissions Failure: Any OBDII Drive Cycle Specific Monitoring Software?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP: Emissions Failure: Any OBDII Drive Cycle Specific Monitoring Software??

bmwsteve

Reaction score
My wife's car This is a 02 Ford Explorer 4.0 is failing emissions due to readiness flags
Note: I have a wired and wireless OBDII Scan Tool, that I hook up to my computer, or to my iphone/ipad using the Palmer Performance Dash Commander (Logs all the data, I can set it to monitor PID's in real time while I'm driving, etc. I'm thinking it might be related to the Coolant Temperature Sensor, because on a 30 minute drive it's not registering any higher then 140.

Failed Emissions 1st time
Problem:
1. Got error: P0125
Insufficient Coolant Temperature for Closed Loop Fuel Control

2. Replaced Thermostat
a. Bled System, replaced with new Coolant
b. Cleared Codes

3. Drove 200 Miles+, various scenarios, and the code has not re-appeared.

Failed Emissions Second Time
4. Went back to emissions: Failed (No CEL/MIL Showing)
a. Readiness Monitors showed 3 as incomplete (only 1 allowed)
Catalyst: Not Ready
Oxygen Sensor Heater: Not Ready
Oxygen Sensor: Not Ready

I've tried going through the drive cycle steps, and I can't seem to get it to take, and I want to know if there is software out there (PC) that will show me which parts of the OBDII Drive Cycle hasn't been achieved. Sort of like a checklist (Which might help me pinpoint the problem)

Additional Info
Symptoms:
Rough Idle when cold
Reversing when cold, or Putting into Drive after reversing, commonly stalls the engine, and or lurches (feels like if you hit the gas with your foot on the brake)
Bad Gas Mileage
I cleaned MAF, and Air Filter
Get the "Low Oil Pressure Indicator Light for about 10 seconds after startup, but then goes away)

You have found the first problem...

The ECT sensor provides the PCM information it needs to manage the engine and transmission properly... If the ECT is faulty the info is faulty and this can cause all kinds of issues...

Change the ECT or at least measure it output to see what it is reading...And remember that you have 2 coolant sensors... One for the temp gauge on the dash and one for the PCM to use for engine management... Check out this link on what the ect should be doing... http://www.oldfuelinjection.com/?p=28

I use my code scanner or my Scangauge II to monitor the parameters in the PCM...I am not aware of any sw to monitor the Drive Cycle though...

I do have one question though; How quickly does your engine go into closed loop? And if you don't have the procedure for the Ford drive cycle check this link...http://www.obdii.com/drivecycleford.html

You will se the coolant temp is one of the many parameters that need to be correct and your temp is too low...

Good luck and let us know how you fix the problem if you do...

Back