Help! Losing power at high altitudes! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help! Losing power at high altitudes!

Daveos

Reaction score
City, State
Southern UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
Okay, so I've had this happen a few times. I'll list the symptoms and what I've tried.

This ONLY happens when I am going up hill into higher altitudes, from about 4000ft to about 9000ft in altitude.

2001 explorer sport. When climbing the hill, after I hit about 7000ft the truck starts to cut out completely. Total loss of power, intermittently. It happens fast, then instantly regains power, then cuts out, then regains power. Typically when accelerating after a deceleration. Once we reach the destination around 9000ft, it's like the truck equalizes and it starts running perfectly again.

New fuel filter, new fuel cap, new O2 sensors.

I have watched the data live on the truck while going up hill. Nothing looks out of the ordinary when the cutouts happen. Trims are okay, O2 voltage is okay, temp is around 185 solid. No idea why this is happening. No codes get tossed at all.

Any suggestions? I would love to figure this out so I can climb a mountain when I want to.

Thanks!

Following, I had something similar happen, got up in the mount highway, wasn't directly after a hill climb but the engine would lose power and had a searching idle. While driving it would feel like the tranny is slipping but it's the engine. After 30 minutes of driving it completely went away

Please let me know if you find anything somewhere else on this. Still stumped.

Back