Help me try to get a performance part made for our platform... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help me try to get a performance part made for our platform...

ecoboost_xsport

Mad Scientist
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Orangevale, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
So, some of you know I'm also doing a pretty intense build. I know, among other components, that the transmission is likely a weak point when going into high horsepower/torque numbers.

Knowing this, I reached out to a decently known Ford transmission builder and started tossing some ideas around to him about the 6F55.

He kind of laughed, as he thought what most who hear about it do. Then he saw what I was doing. I mentioned the SHO market is even more involved and after doing his own research, seemed intrigued. He said, he'd gladly do a rebuild when I get to that point, but I really needed some aftermarket parts for it. He suggested I reach out to a few places like Raybestos, who makes some performance friction clutches he uses in his high-HP 10R80 builds.

I sat on the idea for awhile, thinking "who the hell am I? Why would Raybestos even listen to me?"

Well, I decided to start an IG chat with them as they could easily look at my profile to see what I was doing. I ended up reaching their marketing person and he seemed to at least be willing to put me in touch with their product development team.

Now, I know there are a number of weak points in this platform, the PTU being one part as well. But if we can get even one step closer to getting some performance parts for this 6F55, I think it would be a net-positive.

Let's crowd source this thing and if you're interested in adding your voice to the request hit up

Login • Instagram

And let them know. The fact that they are even asking me questions back tells me they may be contemplating this and may be on the fence about it. It may go nowhere, but let's see...

Here's is the conversation as it stands so far. I want to apologize in advance for some of you who I passed your IG profile onto them, but I am trying to build a case for the marketability of this and felt that may help sell the idea:

January 21, 2021 8:29 pm
ecoboost_xsport: Really looking for some GPZ friction clutch plates for the 6F55...not a commonly modified transmission but desperately needed. Large SHO, Explorer Sport, Ford Flex, Ford Fusion, Ford Edge following. Also compatible with Ford 6F50, GM 6T70 and GM 6T75 transmissions...

ecoboost_xsport: Is there any way I can get you guys to do a test run/small batch of these and I’m sure I can get you guys some business. I am really looking to beef up my transmission.

ecoboost_xsport: I would love to be either a test bed for this or help push the platform with your support.

ecoboost_xsport: How can we make this happen?

January 22, 2021 4:41 am
raybestos_powertrain: Thank you for reaching out! What is your email address?

raybestos_powertrain: We would like to put you in contact with our new product development team.

January 22, 2021 7:20 am
ecoboost_xsport: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ecoboost_xsport: Very cool, hopefully we can make this happen

January 22, 2021 11:32 am
raybestos_powertrain: Thank you. I've sent your info. Please let me know if you do not hear anything back. - Nick

Tuesday 5:17am
ecoboost_xsport: Awesome, I saw the email you sent them late last week. I haven't heard anything back yet though. Any idea what would be a good time frame to hear back from them? Thank you again

Tuesday 9:31am
raybestos_powertrain: I believe they are taking some time to research the scope of the project. Please let me know if you don't hear back by the end of the week. – Nick

ecoboost_xsport: Sounds good, thanks!

9:08 AM
ecoboost_xsport: Good morning Nick, hadn't heard back from those folks yet, just FYI. Definitely still interested to see where we can take this if possible. I'm willing to put in some legwork on this if there is anything I can do. Anyway you can see where they stand on this? Thank you again for all your support.

11:29 AM
raybestos_powertrain: I'll check in with them thanks for following up.

raybestos_powertrain: We are trying to better understand the scope of the market for 6F55 performance. This is the first time we have had a request for performance parts for this transmission. What year, make, models specifically are being used for performance and how big do you think the market is for these?

ecoboost_xsport: The 6F55 is in the 2011-2019 Taurus SHO, the 2011-2019 Ford Explorer Sport, Also within the Ford Flex. It is also used in the Ford Fusion. It is identical to the Ford 6F50. Was a transmission that was used in GM vehicles but related the 6T70 and 6T75. The 6F55 is used in all the 3.5L twin turbo ecoboost motors that had a transverse layout (not F150 3.5 ecoboost). Its also used in the majority of the police department Police Interceptor Utility and Police Interceptor Sedan.

ecoboost_xsport: Many SHOs are current reaching close to 600lb-ft of torque and over 500HP to the wheels, I myself have an Explorer Sport with roughly 500hp and over 500lb-ft of torque and am on track to possibly become the world record holder for the 5th Gen Explorer (not the new ST, which is 6th Gen)

ecoboost_xsport: You can easily do an internet search of high horsepower Taurus SHO (which is MOST of the market for performance transverse 3.5L ecoboost), but many Ford Flexes and Explorers are entering the scene.

ecoboost_xsport: The downfall for the platform is the transmission. All the platforms that use the 6F55 are AWD, so there is potential there for bigger numbers. However, despite being able to make more power with a built 3.5L, we cannot put much more than we have through the transmission. I'd really love to bring a performance component to the market for that transmission and although I can't provide hard numbers, with the reasonable price the GPZ clutches typical cost, I'm fairly certain it can be an untapped market.

ecoboost_xsport: The transmission was made in partnership with GM but GM calls them 6T70 and 6T75. Comparable to the 6F50 and 6F55.

ecoboost_xsport: As mentioned, I'd be willing to do some legwork if it is required of me. I'll be installing a 3.5L motor built for me by RMB Motorworks in a few months, and will need to address the transmission at that time. I will be cryo treating components, performing a WPC treatment on what I can and would love to see if there is an LSD option and where you guys come in, a set of performance friction clutches...

ecoboost_xsport: Some IG profiles to check out:
@autoracingyt
@802sho
@egocheckersho
@tortoise_slo
@cannonsho
@12_sec_sho
@sho_ksa2015
@mnshoboat
@dark_sho6.6.6
@p_coatsofboise
@mrp0w3rs

ecoboost_xsport: Quite a few more...so there is a market for performance parts..

ecoboost_xsport: Oh and check out:
@fastest_fusion_sport

ecoboost_xsport: Also on a 6F55 transmission

ecoboost_xsport: I would be willing to speculate that the sheer numbers alone the of vehicles out there running a 6F50, 6F55, 6T70 or 6T75 may be worth tapping into as the performance market of this platform begins to increase.

ecoboost_xsport: Raybestos already offers an OEM replacement for that trans....let's get some of that GPZ love, lol

BTW, feel free to correct any mistakes I may have made in that conversation...I did make it in haste, so I may be missing some info or have some wrong info...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I posted this on the SHO boards as well, seems there is more interest over there than here and many of those members added their voice to request. Nevertheless, I'd like to provide updates here as well. Where we stand on this at the moment. Updates may go quiet for a few weeks as it appears they are actually doing the research on the 6F55 and viability of producing a performance product for it:

Monday 3:50am
raybestos_powertrain: Thanks, we appreciate the additional info and additional voices. I will make sure our new product engineers read the comments.

ecoboost_xsport: Awesome, thanks again.

Monday 5:50am
raybestos_powertrain: Can you send us the year and VIN of your Explorer Sport?

ecoboost_xsport: Year 2015 Explorer Sport, VIN xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

raybestos_powertrain: Thank you.

Yesterday 5:37 AM
ecoboost_xsport: So would you say there may be some interest within the product development team to bring a GPZ kit to market? I'm sure these decisions take time, but just curious as to the temperature of the room on this application. Thanks again.

raybestos_powertrain: Yes there is definitely interest, no promises yet at this point in time.

ecoboost_xsport: Very cool!

Yesterday 10:52 AM
raybestos_powertrain: [Large Heart Emoji]

ecoboost_xsport: That's a very big heart, that must mean good news lol. J/k....how long you suspect before we'd get a decision on whether or not they decide to move forward? I definitely don't want to bother you guys too much, lol.

4:18 AM
raybestos_powertrain: Within a few weeks. We have potentially identified some differences in the clutches between the 6F50 and 6F55. We are checking into that to confirm whether or not we need to do a material change or create new parts all together.

ecoboost_xsport: Ahhh ok...thank you.

So I posted this on the SHO boards as well, seems there is more interest over there than here and many of those members added their voice to request. Nevertheless, I'd like to provide updates here as well. Where we stand on this at the moment. Updates may go quiet for a few weeks as it appears they are actually doing the research on the 6F55 and viability of producing a performance product for it:
Well done my brotha! Efforts like this are the type that are gonna get us new products

And as you posted over on SHO forums- they plan to have them later this year for street/strip application!

Thanks for the legwork and congrats!!

Yup, I actually forgot to post the update here, lol. But honestly, most of the folks on this board don't really care about that stuff, so this place has been an afterthought for me lately.

But for the record:

Looks like they comin boys and girls!

20210331_071936.jpg

Done!

Thank you!!

UPDATE:

Well, the first promotional video is out!!! Thank you, Andrew Bullock, for the link! I missed it.

A few of us got some feature in the video!!! Very cool. Including myself, I think I saw (add a missed name if I did):

Jordan Christiansen (Former Record SHO Holder and prominent transverse 3.5L influencer....is that a thing? LOL)
Andrew Bullock (Record SHO Holder)
Adam Moore (Record Flex Holder)
Colin Bert (Record Edge Holder)
Marcelino Sotolongo (Record Fusion Holder)

It must've slipped under the radar as the video was posted to YouTube on June 16th...wonder how most of us missed that. Anyway, it's getting closer, so spread the word! The screenshot is my conversation with their marketing manager from this morning, so consider it THE "horse's mouth" up to this point. Make sure you reach out to Raybestos and get your name on the list for release information (Name, Email, Phone, Vehicle, HP).

https://www.raybestospowertrain.com/info/contact

zcTJyZMQJj-1Eu?width=598&height=1024&cropmode=none.jpg

Its good to see some aftermarket support for this transmission. My transmission is showing all the early signs of being old at 130k miles and will definitely need a rebuild in the near future.

Back