HELP!!!! Need to know what transfer case I need | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP!!!! Need to know what transfer case I need

Lostcause66

Reaction score
City, State
Independence, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer 5.0
I'm getting ready to head to the yard for parts. I'm doing a 97 with a 5.0 m5r2 4406 swap and I guess I haven't searched the right questions cuz I can't find the answer. I need to know what manual transfer case I need that will have the vss in the rear output shaft, as in what vehicle do it get it out of? Please help. I only have one day off and I need to do this today

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You will need to find one out of a 97 or early 98 ford f150.

Sorta got lucky with my m5r2 I could only find one within an hour drive of me but luckily it only had 120,x.. on it. It also still had the shifter and the transfer case shifter as well. From what I've read those can be hard to find. What flywheel did you use?

You can get the shifter mount from Dorman. I made my own shifter and linkage out of some bar stock. I listed the measurement for that linkage in here somewhere. Oh, and the bushings for the linkage are from Dorman in
the HELP section at most parts stores.

Gonna try to get my transfercase today and order all the other parts. Did you use a 96 f-150 5.0 flywheel?

Back