JAREDM

Reaction score
City, State
SYRACUSE NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 XLT
01 Sport
08 Rang
so I'm trying to nail this down so I can move forward with a purchase...

in a 3rd Gen, I'm seeking all the cargo space w rear seats folded down to be completely flat.

from what I've gathered, it seems to make a difference whether there is a 3rd row bench or not, because if there is one, than the 2nd row of seats have to be buckets (so they can flip up to access 3rd row) instead of bench seats.

can anyone confirm this?
do the 2nd row 60/40 seats, whether cloth or leather, fold seamlessly flat with the rear floor?

bonus for pics :)

thanks for your continued help guys!☀️

The seats will not fold perfectly flat.
I bought the car with a 3rd row bench and 3 seats in middle ... captain chairs outer and a seat in middle.

I have a 3rd row with leather vehicle. Take your index finger and point it straight -- now bend it a little. It's fairly straight with a couple of 'pivot points'. So is the back seat flooring. The 3rd row back folds down and there's a slide panel to slide forward to take up the gap between the 2nd and 3rd row. The 2nd row seat backs (3 of them) fold down forward. The result is a fairly flat surface at a slight incline -- it's not a straight level surface. The back of the floor is level with the exit panel at the back liftgate. And there is a gap between the front seats and folded down 2nd seat backs. I've never tried sleeping in it -- I'm 6 feet tall and I'm sure it would not be comfortable (a prior try in a competitors vehicle turned out a terrible nights sleep). I don't know how Explorers without a 3rd row are set up.

thanks fordy & mountaineer, yes I really need to hear from someone WITHOUT a 3rd row! :)

Back