HELP!! Sticking at 3000 RPM HORRIBLE fuel economy STARTED right after recall was done | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP!! Sticking at 3000 RPM HORRIBLE fuel economy STARTED right after recall was done

are u talking about the IAC valve?
that ive heard could be a contributor or even the cause but i think it has pretty low flow comming out the tail pipe too leading me to think clogged cat or somthing in the exhaust? but as ive probly said like 15 times already i barly know my ass from my elbow when it comes to this truck :D lol i am just learning/ getting over the omg im gunna break it phase :) i seem to have a knack for dianosing things with simple pull it out ur ass theory haha maybe its my experiance with many many ****ty cars :) first car being a 1981 t-bird :p (must admit i loved that car tho) wow i think that was a spiel and a half sorry guys and yes i am going to make a video tonight i dunno how to post things like that tho?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

put it on youtube, then copy and paste the address of the videos page on here and it will show up as a link

I bet he's got a clogged cat. converter blocking his exhaust flow.
Had the same exact symptoms on a V6 in a lincoln.

Does the truck seem to run ok during the first 5 min. or so?
The bog starts as it gets up to operating temp?
If so, definately have an exhaust shop check your cats.

what where your symptoms of the clogged cat?

it seems to run fine untill i try and push it past 3000 RPM it wont rise past 3000 and sumtimes altho rareit will drop rpms while driving...and periodically it seems robbed of power at low speeds but mostly after 60K it seems the most restricted...re doing the cats are pretty friggen expensive (im from canada so add about 60% to what u lucky americans pay for parts)

i know the fuel filter is probly pretty much toast aswell but i doubt very much ill ever be able to get that friggen thing off lol (god ive tried) and it bothers me paying like 70$ to get that replaced could that actually cause my headaches?

nd the movie ill post tonight

do you have the fuel filter removal tool?

yes, and that sob isnt budging i got one side off then tried for another 2 hours to ge the other side off then when i gave up i obviously re conected them and tried again another day i couldnt even get the side i had gotten off before off so im friggen done trying to budge that *******

give it a good whack with a heavy hammer

recently been told it could be the TPS not properly "set" or tuned
and or a miss of sum sort but still no engine code after atleast 3000+ Km
kinda sounded wierd eminating from the AIC like a quiet vaccume then it will die down (like i said im no mechanic lol so bare with me) and i know ive said it a million times but ill post the videos soon! thnx guys

the vaccum cleaner noise is from the iac valve, i had that. very easy to replace, or you can pull it off and clean it out real good and wd40 it inside and see if its fixed.

I have the same problem .... at 3000 it cacks out, then at 4000 it'll jump into power again, gear down and take off for me ... here's what I found .. that puppy has 5 cats on it ... 2 on the drivers side of the y pipe, 1 larger one on the passenger side of the y pipe, then 2 after the y pipe converges. on mine it had a blown head gasket so it was burning antifreeze on the drivers side only. after I fixed gasket this started. it turned out that the burning antifreeze had one of the cats clogged on the drivers side. This was restricting the airflow on half the engine only, and causing a miss read on the shift portion of the computer making it run like a bag of S___t, but not really acting like a clogged cat

Back