Gduner

Reaction score
City, State
Temecula, CA.
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
Hi All,
I have a 98 Explorer with the following problem:

AC compressor clicks on and off about every 5 seconds.
Seems like the ac blows cold air for the few seconds it is on and then back to warm air.

Bought ac manifold guage's after having read quite a bit on the site but still don't quite understand deciphering what the readings mean?

Snapped some pic's to help me illustrate.

This is how I have the gauge's hooked up:

High Side
high hookup1.jpg

Low Side
low hookup1.jpg

low hu2.jpg

low hu3.jpg

Here is reading with Engine Off:

Engine off.jpg

Engine off low close up.jpg

Engine off high close up.jpg

With engine on AC on Max , Fan on High, Windows down doors shut,
The Compressor clicks on and off about every 5 seconds here is what the guages look like when the compressor is clicked off:

eng on comp clk off.jpg

Here is what they look like when compressor clicks on:
engine on_comp on.jpg

low close eng comp on.jpg

high close eng comp on.jpg

The glass eye looks like this :

liquid in eye.jpg

Seems like maybe I have too much refrigerant in the system?

I did buy the vacuum pump with the guages , its the one you use an air compressor with.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Hmm... no idea's ?

This is what I am thinking having read a bit more...

If pressure is this high the system could have gained air some how...

I am going to have evacuated and then pull vacuum and refill

How long has this system been running like this? The gauge readings show that the low and high sides are running nearly the same pressures...They SHOULD equalize when the compressor is off...But there is no way the low side should ever approach 125 psi while the system is running...Nominal readings should be 20-30 psi LOW/180-250 psi HIGH, dependant on ambient temps being 80-100 F...

That would tell me the low side might be clogged or the compressor is not able to isolate the two sides and it is defective...

Has any attempt to install more refrigerant been done recently? What about any leaks in the hoses, connections for the hoses, or the accumulator being corrosed/rusty? That is the only way I can think of to get air into the system...

If you have the system evacuated I would pull the orifice tube and see if there is any aluminum/teflon flakes on it or any other contaminants there...

Back