Tmajors31

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Eddie Bauer
173 Lack of Heated oxygen sensor switches indicate rich bank 1

137 Lack of Heated oxygen sensor switch during KOER indicates rich bank 2

538 Insufficient RPM change during dynamic response or goose test KOER or INVALID cylinder balance test due to cylinder identification sensor failure

536 Brake On/Off circuit failure not actuated during KOER test

I did these before the truck got warmed up, since it doesn't run real well. I have some stalling issues all of a sudden, so I ran these codes.

You guys think that replacing the oxygen sensors would fix this? I didn't think they would go bad at one time.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Replacing the O2 sensors may fix it, or it may not. It depends on whether or not the O2 sensors are working correctly or not. Make sure there are no other problems (high fuel pressure, for example) that could be causing the engine to run rich before buying new O2 sensors
Oh, and the other two codes are probably the result of not performing the KOER test correctly. At one point in the test you need to push on the brake pedal, at another you need to goose the throttle. If you missed those two steps, those codes will be set.

would a bad regulator cause the fuel pressure to be too high? That does seem like it could be the culprit. It acts like it is flooded after it stalls.

Definately could be a bad FPR.

I will pick up one tomorrow. I will post if that fixes it or not. They are $64 at autozone and cheaper than the O2 sensors. I am hoping this would explain to poor gas mileage I have been getting!

If it were me, instead of buying an FPR and seeing if I got lucky, I'd spend $40 on a fuel pressure gauge and see if the fuel pressure really is the problem.
Just my $0.02 worth.

I put a fuel pressure regulator on today. It seems to have fixed it. No more oxygen sensor codes. My truck still isn't running in top condition. I guess I will change the plugs and see if that helps. I did a complete tuneup last fall. I just changed the fuel filter, regulator and pcv today. Just thought I would update for future searches. :)

Great.

You plugs probably do need changing after running rich for a while. Did you reset the computer?

Reset the computer? I unhooked the battery for awhile. I also ran the codes again. There are no oxygen sensor codes now. I need to get some plugs in it. It feels real down on power. I should probably replace my cat. I have 146,000 miles on my beast. :)

Back