Here's an interesting problem for the group.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Here's an interesting problem for the group..

Steve V.

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Limited
Our 2017 Explorer XLT keeps draining key fob batteries. My wife keeps getting the message on the dash that the batteries are low after a couple of days use. This has happened to my wife's fob and then when I let her carry mine it happened to that one also. This is after installing brand new major name brand batteries. Nothing else is wrong with the vehicle that I know of. The fobs look clean inside with no corrosion showing. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Steve

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is there something inadvertently pressing the keys when it’s in her purse/pocket? It seems unlikely to have to failed fobs.

Our 2017 Explorer XLT keeps draining key fob batteries. My wife keeps getting the message on the dash that the batteries are low after a couple of days use. This has happened to my wife's fob and then when I let her carry mine it happened to that one also. This is after installing brand new major name brand batteries. Nothing else is wrong with the vehicle that I know of. The fobs look clean inside with no corrosion showing. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Steve
Perhaps the keys are stored too close to the vehicle and therefore the fob and Explorer are in constant communication? Found the following after I posted.
Leaving a fob close to a car may seem harmless, especially if you've locked the car tight and the fob is sitting inside your house. Yet if you leave the fob too close to the car it will still connect with the car's sensor system, inadvertently draining the battery much quicker.Aug. 10, 2019

Peter

Is there something inadvertently pressing the keys when it’s in her purse/pocket? It seems unlikely to have to failed fobs.
She keeps them in an interior pocket that does not press on anything else.

Perhaps the keys are stored too close to the vehicle and therefore the fob and Explorer are in constant communication? Found the following after I posted.
Leaving a fob close to a car may seem harmless, especially if you've locked the car tight and the fob is sitting inside your house. Yet if you leave the fob too close to the car it will still connect with the car's sensor system, inadvertently draining the battery much quicker.Aug. 10, 2019

Peter
At work she is at least 500 feet from her Explorer and at home her purse in in the house about 40 feet from her Explorer. She also keeps a fob to my Explorer in the same purse pocket and mine is parked next to hers on the driveway. If the distance from vehicle was causing it I would think that it would drain the battery in her fob for my Explorer also. I do appreciate you all troubleshooting this with me.

There's another interesting twist. I pulled the batteries for the two fobs and checked them with a multimeter. They ranged from 2.85v to 2.96v. Hers were on the lower end but she uses her fob every day. That leads me to believe that the problem is with the notification system in the vehicle.

There's another interesting twist. I pulled the batteries for the two fobs and checked them with a multimeter. They ranged from 2.85v to 2.96v. Hers were on the lower end but she uses her fob every day. That leads me to believe that the problem is with the notification system in the vehicle.

That's my guess as well. I would ignore the message and see how long the battery really lasts.

Ok, time for an update. I took both fobs apart and made sure they were clean (they were). Next, I put dielectric grease on the contact points and put them back together. So far there haven't been any messages about the fob battery being low. I know that dielectric grease is supposed to prevent corrosion and I've read that it is non-conductive but that is the only thing that I did.

The grease is supposed to be there as per the Manual. I believe it is there to help against moisture.
Note: Do not wipe off any grease on the
battery terminals or on the back surface of
the circuit board.

Peter

The grease is supposed to be there as per the Manual. I believe it is there to help against moisture.
Note: Do not wipe off any grease on the
battery terminals or on the back surface of
the circuit board.

Peter
I didn't clean the original grease off when I cleaned the fobs. I just used canned air and an artist's brush to get the dust off/out. Then I added more grease.

Just an update. No problems since I last posted.

Back