• Register Today It's free!

HHO generator questions.

BIG*D

Reaction score
City, State
Canton,tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer 4.0LV6
I have a 2001 Ford Explorer sport 4.0L, and I want to put an hho generater on it but first I need to know :

- will it throw any codes?
- should I get a MAP SENSOR enhancer?
- dry cell or wet cell?
- And, how should I hook it up? ( a certain way )

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi there, allow me to recommend some alternatives that will actually net you a gain in your fuel economy.

A tune is a very popular way to unlock extra power or fuel economy from your engine. There are several companies that offer mail order tunes. Stick to SCT vendors. There are even some who are registered with this forum as vendors.

An electric fan is another popular modification that frees up a little bit of engine power mostly when you are accelerating or cruising at highway speeds. The stock fan does contribute to a little parasitic drag on the engine, and while cruising down the highway, you almost never need it. The gains in fuel economy and power from this modification are not huge, but verified ad nauseum, and are a favorite of auto manufacturers and the racing world alike.

Exhaust modifications such as headers or catbacks are also popular, though you won't find much gain from them.

A good set of highway or touring tires is a GREAT way to get a little better fuel economy. Make sure they are always inflated properly.

Regularly changing your fluids and using the proper viscosity of fluids helps too. Many people change to synthetic oils as well due to their long-life characteristics, and ability to continue to perform as normal even under extreme stress or harsh conditions.

The single biggest gain anyone will ever get to their fuel economy is generally in examining their driving habits. Do you find yourself accelerating from one stop light only to press on your brakes shortly before reaching another?

Before you consider adding an HHO generator to your engine, please do search on the internet for more information about them. Try to avoid sites that are selling HHO equipment, since they will throw plenty of psuedoscience at you to try and convince you it works. Most of the theory behind an HHO generator violates the laws of thermodynamics. When you hear people talking about wet cell and dry cell... Well, I'm not sure what they are thinking. The only difference between the two is the amount of the electrode plates that are exposed to the water. For some people, dry cells APPEAR to function more efficiently, because the part of the electrode outside of the water functions as a heat sink, and your HHO generator is basically the equivalent of a smaller "wet cell", therefore it will naturally use less current and produce an equally smaller output of hydrogen.

Now, I'm sure that there will be people who will jump into this thread soon enough throwing fits over what I have said, or talking about their "planned" cells or the cells they used to have, and sharing with you all their first hand knowledge about how their HHO cell converted water into pure unicorn farts to power the space shuttle, but I implore you, before you throw money away on this, please consider putting it elsewhere into any of the other modifications I suggested. If you still are not convinced, I would be happy to give you plenty of articles to read written by various automotive rags, engineers, scientists, NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory... But, if you still prefer to throw money away, there are plenty of guys on the internet who are sure their next version will definitely work, have a magical story about their last one that inexplicably disappeared, or just have ridiculous and unsubstantiated claims about their present system.

Thank you for the reply. I've been doing a lot of research online and still havent decided yet wether to install in or not but it will be after some other applications are installed such as the fluids, electric fan, etc.
I'm a senior in high school not really looking for power out of my lil 4.0 V6, I'm really interested in getting the maximum gas milege out of it, and that's what my mission is here.

Thank you for the reply. I've been doing a lot of research online and still havent decided yet wether to install in or not but it will be after some other applications are installed such as the fluids, electric fan, etc.
I'm a senior in high school not really looking for power out of my lil 4.0 V6, I'm really interested in getting the maximum gas milege out of it, and that's what my mission is here.

Anything you can do to increase the volumetric efficiency of your engine can be used to increase power OR increase fuel economy, depending on how you are using it. Most mods that increase power can also increase fuel efficiency as long as you stay out of the noise pedal. Very few mods will give you an increase of both, with a tune or removal of components that contribute to drag on the engine being notable exceptions.

Granted, these trucks will never get great fuel economy, and most of the money you invest into increasing their fuel economy you will never see returned to you in the form of savings unless you keep the truck several years. Generally speaking, the best advice I can give you is to save your money and perform regular and meticulous maintenance. If you spend $100 doing a modification, then that is the same as putting around 30-35 gallons of fuel in at current prices. That equates to 600+ miles of driving on the highway, or 450+ in town. If you start piling on top of that, you are just throwing more miles you could have driven into modifications. So ask yourself. Do you want to save money now, or 4-5 years from now?

That's why I suggested modifications that will lead to increasing your overall satisfaction with the vehicle and contribute to your future maintenance and care of the vehicle. A well-maintained vehicle will save you more money than anything.

Besides, it is a time honored tradition of the high school guy to have to scrounge or beg for gas money. I remember trying to desperately figure out where I was going to get the 25 bucks it was going to cost to feed my old 77 Chevy pickup's big block a couple of full tanks of gas on many occasions. There were times I wondered if my needle would ever go above half a tank on either of my tanks.

Just enjoy your vehicle. You are going to hate it every time you get to the pump anyway, so no sense stressing over your vehicle when you are away from the pump. Keep it well-maintained, and modify it only in ways that will increase your satisfaction with owning a 4wd brick, and it will keep you happy.

Back