• Register Today It's free!

Hi Everyone... Stuck hood here!

Jlyman

Reaction score
City, State
Tacoma, Washington USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
95' XLT
I have a 1995 Ford Explorer with a stuck hood. When I tried to close the hood a few days ago, instead of shutting all the way, it kinda bounced and didn't close (I'm thinking the latch was not all the way open or it just closed partially). So I tried a second time and it closed but not all the way. Now it's open by about an inch or two and totally stuck. I have an appointment with a Ford dealer to get it fixed in a week or so; is there anyone who's a mechanic or has had this experience that can give me an idea of how many bucks you have to fork out to fix this? I've tried on my own to fix it and can't. Do they have to rip the hood off? I've seen similar situations to mine but usually they refer to broken cables, which is not a problem here. I looked at it from through the grill and from down below and it looks like when I slammed it shut the latch was already in closed position or something.
:p:

Sounds like the latch is binding in some way, unfortunately you don't seem to have a lot of room to work with. I myself would attempt to play with the latch with a long flat tip screw driver. But this may cause damage to the latch assembly or make it worst. You could try going by a auto parts store and see if they can give you a hand.

And to add, if you decide to attempt messing with it with a screw driver, have some one pulling the latch from the inside - maybe this will free it.

J, there's a spot on the latch that can open it with a screwdriver or something similar. I'm not in front of my 96 XLT now, but I had to tie a wire thru that hole on the latch so that I could open it by pulling the wire. My inside lever don't do it anymore. Standing in front of the truck and looking into the latch, there should be a hole to the right of the actual latch itself that's would fit a phillips screwdriver. With the screwdriver in the hole, force it to the right and the lever should open. I might not be giving you a good description though because I'm not in front of it. If you want to email me, MStach66@aol.com, I can then send you my cell phone# and see if I can't talk you through a possible fix with me standing in front of my truck. I'll be able to give you a better description if the one above don't cut it. Good luck, Mike

Back