• Register Today It's free!

High Gauges and Charging System

plcrawfo

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 sport
Sorry for the long post - but any help is appreciated.

95 explorer - 4x4. 166K miles

I have been having trouble with gauges and I'm starting to think there might be a problem with the charging system - but I'm at a loss.

A few months ago, the oil pressure gauge went high. I am aware that this is a go/no go gauge - I changed the oil, all look okay - engine seemed to be running fine (or as well as it can - 166K and its always idled a little lumpy). Kept driving for a few weeks - no problems, so I thought it was just the gauge/sending unit and didn't worry to much.

About a month ago the temperature gauge starting reading high. Normally sits in the middle of the range, and crept up to 75%-90% of the range. I got worried. At 166K, I'd never done a thermostat, temp sending unit (to the gauge) or a water pump. I went ahead and did the thermostat and sending unit. There was noise in the water pump bearing so I went ahead and replaced the pump as well (along with a coolant flush). Gauge still reads high.

Sometimes the oil gauge will "tach out" and go wild and the temperature gauge will then ping past the "H" and the "Check Gauge" light will flicker on/off (as the gauges tach out). I notice the the voltage/battery "wiggles" slightly while the temperature and oil gauge go crazy. Then things will go back to normal for a few minutes and start again (no real periodicity).

So I thought the charging system may be at fault - I check voltage at the battery, engine off - 12.6v engine running 13.2. I also checked at the alternator. Everything looked ok (except the haynes manual says charging voltage should be between 14 - 15v). Since the voltage was low according to the haynes manual I replaced the alternator (and voltage regulator) - but still get 13.2 volts. After doing some searching on the forum it appears 13.2 is considered normal?

I noticed the wire at the sending unit for the oil gauge was shot right at the connector - so I cut and tapped and will be trying to replace the rubber/metal connector boot. However, the problem with the temp gauge persists. I have notice that if I rev the engine to 4K the voltage/battery gauge goes up a little and the high temperature gauge returns to a normal position (quickly/immediately).

Any suggestions?

After all that id start by checking the grounds.

Back