• Register Today It's free!

Hood release

azwizard

Reaction score
City, State
Luther, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Eddie Bauer
Ok, so I've been dealing with the loose/stripped hood release wire. It's no longer working, the hood is just stuck shut. what can I do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Continued

The Car isn't starting, it cranks and occaisonatley pops but it won't start. Where should I start after I get the hood open.

Is the cable broken, or can you get some ViseGrips on it under the dash?

The cable is stretched and won't work from under the dash, I've been reaching in the grill and pulling the cable but something is different now. I pull and I can hear it moving but it wont come unlatched.

Remove the 2 small bolts holding the handle to the dash. Now that it's loose, you can pull it towards you to take up the slack from being stretched. Hold the mount with one hand, and pull the handle with the other. That should work. Replace the cable or install a a cable/wire/rod to the emergency release tab on the hood release latch itself.

Tried for 3 days in a row to open the hood with all suggestions and nothing. then I put a large screw driver under the hood and put some pressure on it while pulling the cable and it popped right up. Beyond the cable being frayed really bad the driver side hood cushion was broke and allowing the hood to latch crooked putting extra tension on the latch.

Ok hoods up and checking things out for why it wont start.

KOEO code 513 initially displayed. Reset and it came right back, Checked the battery and the negative cable was loose. Tightened it and that code is gone now nothing but 111.

Checked Fuel pressure = 39 psi, Dialed into the ign. timing and it is steady at 10'. Truck cranks and occasionally pops but it's not going to start. Was thinking maybe a bad crank or cam position sensor but shouldn't they have thrown a code?

What else should I maybe look at?

Hood latch

My hood is stuck shut. 97 ford explorer. On 6-27-11 Gmanpaint wrote:
Remove the 2 small bolts holding the handle to the dash. Now that it's loose, you can pull it towards you to take up the slack from being stretched. Hold the mount with one hand, and pull the handle with the other. That should work. Replace the cable or install a a cable/wire/rod to the emergency release tab on the hood release latch itself.

Gman or someone, can you tell me where the emergency release tab on the hood release latch itself is located? Thanks

hoodreleasewireonlatch.jpg

hoodreleasewiregrill.jpg

You see where the wire rod is that is hooked? That's the release tab.

That is also the backup release mod that has been done in case of cable failure. It works so good, that I no longer use the hood release inside anymore. :)

Thanks for posting that pic, I had no idea you could do that and I always worry about the cable.
One question, where is the other end of the wire rod going to? Does it have a hook to grab and pull on?
Thanks
Russ

Thanks for posting that pic, I had no idea you could do that and I always worry about the cable.
One question, where is the other end of the wire rod going to? Does it have a hook to grab and pull on?
Thanks
Russ

That is actually the handle to a 1 gallon paint can. Perfect bend & thickness for this mod. :D

I added the pic to the post above to see where the other end comes out of the grill. Bent a little to make a handle to grab on when pulling it. :thumbsup:

gmanpaint, thanks for the picture showing the emergency hood release. I never knew there was one. After discovering this, I find I can just use a screwdriver to reach in and work the latch. Thanks again. I have wondered what I would do if the cable ever broke.

gmanpaint, thanks for the picture showing the emergency hood release. I never knew there was one. After discovering this, I find I can just use a screwdriver to reach in and work the latch. Thanks again. I have wondered what I would do if the cable ever broke.

:biggthump

Back