how big were your plug gaps?

toddious

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
winter park, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Limited 4x4
I just replaced plugs and wires (who knows how long it's been). i found most of my plugs were gapped to about .085, compared to the recommended .054

wondering what anyone else has seen since this seemed pretty extreme. todd.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah i replaced my stock plugs at 84k miles...they were at like .088..huge ass gap. the new ones were gaped at the .054 like they should be. man it made a huge differance in power/mpg. i'm pretty sure over time the gap get bigger..just how it goes.

The plugs wear as the get old. I need to replace mine. I tried to pull one and it didn't feel very good. Going to soak them for a few days with WD-40. I have no desire in tearing the heads off :)

Best way to get to the plugs is thru the wheel wells. Put anti-seize on the new ones when you install them.

Yeah, a little antisieze can make all the difference in the world. :) I wonder if Ford used any. I think I can get 6 of them easily from the top.

Sometimes when I get plugs and 02 sensors from dealerships, they have antiseeze already on them. Very cool deal! I doubt Ford uses antiseeze... http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148535

There are reports of problems removing the new style plugs from Ford 5.4L 3-valve engines. The plugs are hard to remove and can pull the threads from the heads.

-Drew

96limitedX said:
yeah i replaced my stock plugs at 84k miles...they were at like .088..huge ass gap. the new ones were gaped at the .054 like they should be. man it made a huge differance in power/mpg. i'm pretty sure over time the gap get bigger..just how it goes.

don't know if these were stock or not, but they probably were. trucks got 130k miles on it, but i've only had it for the last year and a half.

new plugs and wires made a huge difference, but my old ones were completely shot(think i was running on about 3 of 6 cylinders).

BTW i used autolite double platinums, and they are great.

Yeah, make sure you get the double platinums. They cost a bit more, but well worth it. Also, if the wires are original, I suggest replacing them as well. Also, I don't think soaking the plugs with WD40 is going to make a difference. Just make sure you get a good socket on it, and a good straight shot at it.

Why wouldn't the wd-40 help? Any lubing of the threads would be benificial.

yeah i dident do the wires when i did the plugs. i still need to do them..just havent got around to it..lol

Toddious, glad it worked out for you!

Just did my plugs and wires on a 99 v6 sohc.
What a tight fit!!!
A couple plugs on the drivers side were over.100 gap
the drivers side werent as bad but all over .075
I used a breaker bar on one of them.
These were the original plugs and wires. 126K miles
I made sure to use the grease and anti seize.

96limitedX said:
yeah i dident do the wires when i did the plugs. i still need to do them..just havent got around to it..lol

Toddious, glad it worked out for you!

thanks bud, she's running good now....

you know except lower BJ's, leaky air shock, no A/C, etc, etc.....

Back