How can I make my 98 Sport V6 (not SOHC) perform better? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How can I make my 98 Sport V6 (not SOHC) perform better?

haktmal

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport OHV
I just got a 98 Sport V6 (not SOHC). I know that the SOHC performs better and it's a favorite engine choice. But I also heard that the SOHC V6 can really give Explorer drivers a lot of problems. Well... I settled for the regular OHC and I hope I'm making a right choice.

Nevertheless, please give me advices to better the performance on my new Explorer. How to make my V6 perform stronger and last longer. :)

Also, I do not know if there are any recalls on the 98 Sport V6. The original owner still have 4 year/100,000 miles warrantee on the truck. If there are recalls for this truck, please let me know as well.

Thanks in advance, any replies would greatly be appreciated.

Take care.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No recalls on the truck as I know of. Also, you have the OHV not the OHC.

There's really not all that much you can do for cheap. But hey, be happy that your engine doesn't have plastic inside and crap out and sound like a diesel! Hurray!

All jokes aside, you should do a 2.25 exhuast, maybe a chip (depending on whether you can afford premium gas), a custom intake, and do synthetic engine oil and this is very important if you run her hard- a tranny cooler!!!!

hey now, mine hasnt done that yet! i havent heard that either!:p but haktmal you could put a S/C on it. look at Alecs explorer for ideas. and welcome to the site!

ditto on the chip/intake/exhaust, those are the only "cheap" things that will get you anywhere. Everything else gets real expensive, oh except figure out what rearend ratio you have, if it's 3.43 you could go with 3.73 for better acceleration (worse gas mileage, it's all a tradeoff)

would have picked the SOHC. Have had mine for 2.5 years with no problems except one recall. Love it! All the mods you can do to the ohv might bring it close to the sohc. Intake/exhaust/chip/premium gas is the best way to go for any real gains in hp. mileage will go down, and dont expect miraculous things to happen. Reliability with these mods compared to stock motors is debatable. If you need hp, you might not be happy with your purchase. I'm not giving you good news, am I? Anyway, even the ohv explorer can be great fun!

Originally posted by Jason_25
you should do a 2.25 exhuast, maybe a chip (depending on whether you can afford premium gas), a custom intake, and do synthetic engine oil and this is very important if you run her hard- a tranny cooler!!!!

sounds like a good place to start

Back