How do I change the Intermediate Servo Piston?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do I change the Intermediate Servo Piston??

shocker91

Reaction score
City, State
Evansville, In
Year, Model & Trim Level
"91 eb
On my '91 EB, how can I change the Intermediate Servo Piston without taking down the catalytic converter and exhaust?? Trying to eliminate the high-rev(4000-4500) 1st to 2nd gear shift problem when the truck is cold or has sat for awhile.

Good luck

Maybe by removing the floor access panel. Still you'll have to more than 4 " clearance in order to get the shaft out. The cover often sticks. Use lots of spray to clean out the dirt. Tap on the cover and the spring will eventually pop it out.

If the servo rubber is cracked or chipped, it is likely the band has snapped. Does it feel solid in manual 2?

I just got done fixing a problem where my 92 explorer's engine was running 4000 to 4500 rpm before shifting in first and second gear. It turns out that the vaccum modulator hose that came with my new modulator was made out of a really soft silicone rubber. It had kinked and basically made the transmission think that the engine was at wide open throttle all the time. Increasing the shift points.

Switched to a harder (fuel line) hose from NAPA. Problem solved. while I was at it, I added a remote filter setup to the transmission cooler lines (something I read about on this site, BIG THANKS!) and it has made a world of difference in how my explorer shifts.

Back