How do I get 12V power wires through firewall | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do I get 12V power wires through firewall

Belfairherb

Reaction score
City, State
Belfair, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
I recently purchased a used 2004 Ford Explorer XLS and need to bring a 12V power feed from the battery directly to my ham radio. What is the easiest way to get the 12V leads through the fire wall into the passenger compartment? So far I have not seen a way to get through the fire wall without drilling it. Any help is appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is this a big power hog over 30 amps? If not if you want there are spare slots on the fuse panel which it runs to the battery. If you don't feel like accessing the back of the panel you can always come off the front with a blade connector. Make sure you use an inline fuse if you go that route. Accessing the back and fusing the panel looks more professional. Find a good isolated chassis ground to help avoid any interference.

On the drives side, peeling back the carpet there's a black foam piece, like a foot rest. I drilled a 1 inch hole in that area. Then picked up an assortment of grommets and used a 1" to protect the wires from the metal. (I also used spray primer on a brush to coat the cut metal.)

Then I picked up some 3m strip caulk 08578. This caulk is like a tar/putty, it stays flexible and fills all the gaps around the wires, creating a seal.

I'll see about taking a picture. I wanted the hole big enough for future use and probably should have gone a little bigger.

On the drives side, peeling back the carpet there's a black foam piece, like a foot rest. I drilled a 1 inch hole in that area. Then picked up an assortment of grommets and used a 1" to protect the wires from the metal. (I also used spray primer on a brush to coat the cut metal.)

Then I picked up some 3m strip caulk 08578. This caulk is like a tar/putty, it stays flexible and fills all the gaps around the wires, creating a seal.

Smart man to protect your wires. I seen many mess up without a grommet. Some cars do have dummy plugs from non added accessories and such. They sell all kinds of grommets in the help sections of the big parts stores. It wouldn't hurt to drill.
It all depends on what power he needs whether he has an amp or booster to feed. If he does go that route they do sell breakers and fuses that mount to the battery post. That way you are protected the whole way. Amazon is a good place to buy them.

I installed a Lincolns fuse box as a secondary in the engine compartment. Mainly for its built in ability to run my E fan. But I've already used two of its mini fuse ports. On my '04, on the passenger side of the engine bay, have an open spot. I believe 02-03 has the cruise control system here. That's were I mounted the box using Simpson ties to make a mount.

See this post for the box:
https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=404028

Back