How do I upgrade Radio on Explorer 2014? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do I upgrade Radio on Explorer 2014?

unix4linux

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando
Hello All,

I was looking through the threads to see if there is any info on what I need to do to upgrade the stock radio. I have a 2014 XLT Explorer with just the standard 6 speakers non-sony setup. It looks like if I want to upgrade to a double din touchscreen head unit, I would need to replace the entire center console. If that is the case, which console would I need? Would this be an aftermarket console or do I need to retrofit something from a different year/model of an Explorer?

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it. The sticky I see on this sub-forum only talks about a model that comes with the Sony and a sub. I have neither.

Another question I have is about the default audio input. I am currently using a tablet for navigation until I get the sound system picked out and installed. That'll be a while for now. In the meantime, the tablet works fine for Maps and Audio since I have LTE on it. With that said, I can customize my tablet to come on and off base on power source being detected. The only issue is that I have to always select BT (bluetooth) on the console of the vehicle so that I can hear audio out from the tablet. Is there a way to set the car radio to always default to BT?

If you go to Crutchfield's and list your Ex, it will show an aftermarket dash kit (Metra 99-5828CH) for 249.99. Crutchfield discounts install kits so check them out. I am very happy with the stereo and install kit I put in my 2005 EB a couple of months ago. I even got the kit to retain steering wheel controls.

If you go to Crutchfield's and list your Ex, it will show an aftermarket dash kit (Metra 99-5828CH) for 249.99. Crutchfield discounts install kits so check them out. I am very happy with the stereo and install kit I put in my 2005 EB a couple of months ago. I even got the kit to retain steering wheel controls.

Thanks for the info. I was checking this site out and even entering my info doesn't yield any results. I enter the year/make/model/trim and select "no sony with 6 speakers" and nothing. The results come back at zero. The only way I found that kit was because you provided the part number. With that said, thanks a bunch!!

As for the Bluetooth question I had, I figured this out. I noticed that there were a bunch of old phones paired to the vehicle from the previous owner. One of those phones was set to primary. I removed all of the paired devices and made my tablet the Primary BT device. Once I did that, any time I turn my vehicle on, it links up automatically to the tablet now :)

Back