• Register Today It's free!

How important is a my sway bar?

RichCresci

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLS, 06 Mounty
Hey, I was just playing around today driving over snow piles when I noticed my truck started to teeter on 2 wheels. Scared, I immediately reversed her. That's when the light bulb went off. If a take off my sway bar I could probably get more suspension travels before the truck feels like it's gonna roll. Is it safe to cruise around in an 03 with a 2.5/1.75" lift with no sway bar?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

personally, i had my old truck (1985 GMC s15 jimmy) that i ran without a sway bar you will get more travel, but for your application you might want to look into a swaybar quick disconnect.

If i;m not mistaken they don't make disconnects for the 3rd gens. Also, with my lift it puts the sway bar on a pretty stressed angle so even if i did have disconnect I would never be able to get them back together. Does anyone run a 3rd gen w/o the bar?

If it's your DD I would leave it on, if removed it will really affect the handling. Vehicle will want to roll from side to side and would be easy to loose control if you made a sudden turn.

In my 04 xterra I rode w/o a RSB but left the front in. That was lifted 3" with a yak rak and equipment so it was fairly top heavy. I think it'll be ok w/o the RSB but your better off leaving it in unless your wheelin.

Yeah it is my dd and it goes everywhere so I put a lot of miles on it. If it'll compramose the safety that much it ain't worth it.

After I installed my front spacers, I did a little test run without the front sway bar attached. There was a ton of difference when it was re-attached. Mine is for sure staying on. It would be cool to have a quick disconnect system for going offroad.

Back