how is a 2011+ 4wd perform off-road in Sand? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how is a 2011+ 4wd perform off-road in Sand?

PUR PONY

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 LTD, 96 XLT, & 98 XLT
Been thinking about replacing my 06 Explorer with a 2011+... however I need something that's good in sand. I plan travel up to 5 miles down sand trails at the beach. To even get a sand pass, the vehicle is supposed to be 4wd with low range. NO AWD allowed.... I never realized the 2011+ Explorers didn't have Low.....
Also, I thought the SPORTS had AWD and the XLT/Limited were 4wd... but looking at the brochures, They all have the same 4wd system? Am I reading that correct?

thanks

Haven't tried my 2012 in sand yet, so I can't speak how well it works for that part. One of the drive modes that you can select (on non-base models) is "Sand" mode, which should facilitate the driving in sand, but it's not "4WD Low". As you said, there's no low range on the 2011+ explorers, just AWD, and that's up to the car to engage. To my knowledge you can't force it to be on all the time (although some of the drive-modes probably does this anyway). Perhaps someone else can chime in on how it performs in sand.

If no AWD is allowed, you are screwed. The Explorer is simply AWD, nothing more.

Halwg is correct. The 5th gen Explorer is a FWD biased vehicle with AWD on some trims. It has a Terrain Management System that allows for various conditions such as Snow, Mud & Ruts, Sand and Normal.

Peter

Back