How to Access Engineering Mode AKA Test Mode | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to Access Engineering Mode AKA Test Mode

uh60james

Reaction score
City, State
Fayetteville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport (Dora), '06 XLT
I remember being able to access a test mode on the odometer of my 2002 Focus and figured that our Explorers would have a similar feature, it turns out they do and ours provide a lot more information. This may also apply to the 2002-2005 models.

I am not sure what everything means or if anything can be changed from this "Engineering Mode" as it is called. If anybody finds anything else out please add it to this post.

To access Engineering Mode put your key into the ignition press down the reset button by the message center/odometer and turn the key to the on position, continue holding it and you should see ENGINEERING MODE pop up on the screen. Let go of the reset button. Simply push the reset button to scroll through all of the different readouts! You may get the CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM warning, just press the reset button to keep looking.

Here is the list of everything I found. I don't have the expanded message center like some of you with the Eddie Bauer or Limited may have. You may or may not have more features.

GAUGE TEST - Runs the gauges from bottom to top.
Message Center Test - Illuminates all of the lights in the message center.
TELLTALE TEST - Illuminates all Warning/Advisory Lights
PART NUMBER - Not sure what part its for but it tells you a part number.
ROM CHECKSUM - ?
NVM LEVEL - ?
MANUFACTURE DATE - Self Explanatory
B&A CONFIG - ?
MANUF CONFIG - ?
CONTINUOUS DTC - ?
VEHICLE SPEED MPH - Digital Speedometer
VEHICLE SPEED KPH - Digital Speedometer
TACHOMETER - Digital Tachometer
FUEL LEVEL - ?
FUEL LEVEL % - ?
INSTANT DTE - Faster updating version of the DTE
FUEL ONOFF Z - ?
F#S ON/OFF Z - ?
COOLANT TEMP - Coolant Temp in Degrees C
ODOMETER
BATTERY - Battery Voltage
KEY IN SW - ?
DIMMING CMD - ?
DIMMING STEP - ?
MC SWITCH - ?
LWF OPS OAT - ?
COMPASS - Compass readout in degrees
LAST CHIME SOUNDED - Whatever the warning chime sounded for last

A few example pictures
2569277118_0d6c7e012b.jpg

2569277260_fb72f2e9da.jpg

2568452157_b28ee4e913.jpg

2569277686_6327ceb252.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What vehicle are those gauges, and could it tell me if there is something wrong with my instrument cluster???

Those are the guages on a 2006 explorer. I am pretty sure the 2002-2005s have a similar function and can be accessed the same way. My 2004 focus did the same thing, it just didn't give quite as much information.

As far as telling if there is something wrong with your instrument cluster. It should do a gauge test which will run all the gauges through there whole range of motion. You should also be able to get all the lights to illuminate. And as you can see in the pictures above digital speedometer, odometer and coolant temp. I don't have a 3rd gen explorer to try this on but like I said it should work since my 2004 focus had it on it.

Do you suspect a problem with your instrument cluster?

Ive done this in my 04 Explorer. not sure if I saw all the same parameters but I do remember seeing the coolant temp, speed, compass, and temp and thought it was pretty cool to see it in digital format.

Hm, interesting. I'll have to try this on my '05.

i may just have to try this on my 06

I'm driving a loaner 07 Fusion. I'm going to have to try this. I REALLY like this car BTW. It is tough getting used to that small, hi back window.

EDIT: No dice on the 07 Fusion

That's cool, thanks for sharing! I'll have to give it a go in my '07 EB.

mode

i have an 06 eddie bauer and have electric climate and the outside temp is on the climate display. on the eb's without electric climate have the temp display in the message center- can i have this feature? if so what do i have to do?

That's cool, thanks for sharing! I'll have to give it a go in my '07 EB.

So I tried it tonight on my truck and it looks basically the same as the 2-line display. It only utilized the bottom portion of the LCD screen. Neat feature for sure!!

I did see mention of lamp dimming rates and delays as I was going through, but I did not try and play... I'll have to photograph all the menus so we can all see!

Edit: It also looks like my analog speedo is "off" like yours as well when comparing to the digital...

just an fyi...

I had to try this on our 06 mustang (4.0 sohc).. It didn't work.. There is a built in system check when I go into the setup menu but it doens't really give me much.. it just says the doors are closed, gas cap is on, trunk is closed and oil pressure is ok.. but thats it.. I was hoping it would work as I'm having coolant temp gauge issues (it shows full hot when the car is room temp and the computer knows its not hot since it isn't turning on the fans or going into limp mode)

~Mark

how do your get the eng mode to stay on when the vehicle is running? I can only get it to work if I leave the key in the on position engine off.

how do your get the eng mode to stay on when the vehicle is running? I can only get it to work if I leave the key in the on position engine off.

All I did was get in to the engineering mode (with key on engine off) and then start the truck. :thumbsup:

Back