How to convert my LSD to and Open Carrier | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to convert my LSD to and Open Carrier

Billy00NC

Reaction score
City, State
Triad, North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer
How to convert my LSD to an Open Carrier

Hey Folks! I'm a new member, but have been using all of the great advice and input on this forum for nearly two years now. I bought my '00 XLT at 147k and have experienced a lot of the problems many of you have had. I bought mine with a roaring rear end, replaced racings and bearings, and finally the pumpkin nearly blew the spider gears out of the back (at 192k). I found an exact match rear end at a junk yard with just 74k. Cleaned it out and replaced gear oil (with friction modifier) and installed it. It ran quiet as a kitten for about 3k. But now I'm getting a rumble on take off from a turn. I did the 10 circles drive in both directions and it settles down for a few miles, but the rumble soon returns. I've read adding more friction modifier can help and have ordered a bottle of XL3...But since I live in a calm climate, I don't drive in mud, and I don't (can't) race with a 4.0L, I want to rid my pumpkin of the limited slip clutches entirely and go to a open carrier assembly. I've read it can be done, but haven't found any instructions on how to, or what parts can be swapped to make this happen...any thoughts?

Yes, all you have to do is get a 8.8 31 spline open carrier and swap it in. You will have to buy a shim kit to get the backlash correct.

Pardon my ignorance, but do I need a carrier with gears or can I use my existing spider gears? Any references to a "how to" guide or video would also be a big help.

Back