I broke something, what is it???? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I broke something, what is it????

scott93EB

Reaction score
City, State
Golden, CO (school) Los Alamos, NM (Home)
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Eddie Bauer
OK, I started the thread over and am trying to get the old one closed. The point is that I don't think this is 911 material but it's important. I was trying to undo a piece in the vacuum line. It's that line that comes off the TB, if you follow it it comes to a little joint where a small cannister/sensor is in the line then the line continues. I broke the plastic fitting on that piece and the fitting in intgeral so I need a whole new thing. I looked in my Chilton's and it wasn't on the only diagram they had for a 1st gen. Here is a pic of the part, this is looking at it, on the driver's side of the engine.
PICS

Thanks for any help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I found a thing like that on my 91 eddie baur, no idea what it does.. It looks like some little pump or something.

It has a wire bundle and a plug that goes in the end, and the vac. just goes through it, I think it's some kind of sensor from the wires, but I have no idea what it is, Chilton's doesn't have what it is. I think the part number is on it but I can't get it now anyways and I don't think anyone at the parts store will be able to tell me what it is, so I come to the best place to find out..

UPDATE I got what I think is the part number, does anyone have something to look it up in or know where I can look it up?
On Sticker-E4Zf-9C915-AA
stamped on stickermight be SN-A1893B

Does one of the vacuum hoses go to the intake, and the other come off of the charcoal cannister (little box in the front of the engine compartment next to the radiator and the headlight)? I think what you are looking at is the cannister purge solenoid.

That would be what's called the purge solenoid or purge valve, and its related to the Evap. emissions system. Any autoparts should have it and its not expensive ( maybe tops $55 bucks )

EDIT: MrShorty beat me to it, damn slow dialup...lol

thanks a lot guys, Ill get a ride and get it tomorrow, then the seafoam :)

I did the EXACT same thing it cost about $80 it sucked

Dang, and all that's broken is the little plastic T, of course they had to make it all one piece. That's more expensive that I was expecting :mad: Thanks for the help though.

If you have enough surface area left where the piece broke off, you could epoxy it back in place. There are some serious epoxies out there that will "fuse" the plastic back together. If you can do it, make sure to put some sort of nail or similar piece of metal, (even a long drill bit, smooth side of course ) lightly greased ( to aid in removal when epoxy dries) down through the hole when epoxying it, to prevent the epoxy from "squeezing" into the port itself and clogging the opening.

Could save you some money.

Thanks for the ideas, I went to the Checker and they had to drive it from a depot (here tomorrow, but I'm gone all weekend anyway), so I just bought it for $50. There was some confusion finding it because the name was weird in their system, it was EGR I guess. So it'll probably be put on on Sunday. Then maybe I can finally Seafoam. Thanks

"...it was EGR I guess." -- Before you walk out of the store with that, make sure it looks like the CANP solenoid you're replacing. EGR should refer to something else (Exhaust Gas Recirculation). I did a quick look on Checker's website (www.partsamerica.com), and I couldn't find the cannister purge solenoid (it was listed, but grayed out indicating they didn't carry it at all).

Thanks for your concern, I told him it wasn't EGR at first, but what he described it as(was on phone with depot) matched, also the part name was under EGR, but the descripton was canister purge solenoid. I googled checker auto parts and the website with that title was Checker Auto Parts maybe its not Checker's acutal site but it had pics and the OE part number they showed matched the one on the actual piece. The guy said I could return it if it wasn't right. So far Checker doesn't seem too bad, The autozone in my old town sucked, anybody have good/bad experiences with either?

Google might have led you astray. Checker has been affiliated with partsamerica.com for several years. Try www.checkerauto.com and you get transferred to partsamerica with the Checker logo at the top.

Anyway, I didn't want to take up a lot of bandwidth with a long drawn out debate. Just wanted to point at that the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system is very different from the Evaporative Emissions System (EVAP of which the CANP solenoid is part).

And, in many ways, it's not an important debate, because they should take the part back if it is the wrong part. Checker's always been good to me in that regard. And you'll know right there at the counter if they got it right or not. Just take the new part out of the box and compare it to the old. It should be pretty obvious if they got it wrong.

Thanks, I didn't mean for it to be a debate. Ill will see tomorrow, if it's wrong they have no idea what the part is and I guess I'll have to get it online.

here we go this was the part number and the guy said niehoff, From that Checker site The replacement part looks kind of shotty compared to the stock.

It isn't always easy to be 100% certain from those pictures, but it looks like it should be the right part. Interesting that they listed it under the EGR system. I would never have looked there for it. Let us know how it goes.

I got back and got the part and it is indeed the correct part. I don't know why it was EGR also, I thought it was a different system.

Back