I need help with 94 Eddie Bauer Limited cables | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I need help with 94 Eddie Bauer Limited cables

KNS

Reaction score
City, State
Salem, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer Eddie Bauer
For a '94 Eddie Bauer Limited:

A new OEM throttle cable is unavailable.
In addition, a new set of OEM HVAC cables is also unavailable.

While working toward being debt free and believing that investing in the car you've already got is better than someone else's LEMON, for a few years, I've paid to virtually completely repair/replace anything wrong with the mechanical system of this vehicle!

I invested a lot of money into a 4.0 Liter engine, remanufactured by a firm with a 52-year-old state-of-the-art machine shop developing and racing car engines.

Unaware that those cables wear out so severely, I find now that the automotive repair shop I use & respect requires OEM parts to do the work.
So, I need all of them!

First Option

Does anyone have any new or gently used parts in excellent shape?

If that option doesn't pan out,
Second Option:

I need to do the work myself or find someone who can repair the existing cables & also
Find a shop that doesn't warranty their work to replace them.

Cable repairs
There are two types of cables:

First, stranded steel wire cables in an outer sleeve (Throttle cable)
Second, solid steel wire cables in an outer sleeve (HVAC cables)

I've seen internet videos using silver solder in a home brew carbon crucible to add a new "end" to stranded wire cables.
Likely, the same would work for solid wire.

So does anyone have alternate ideas for "that standard fare" to repair my existing cables?

Thank you in advance for your willingness to consider this request!

Welcome to the forum lurker KNS.
Repairing stranded cables is not as easy as the videos make it look. Without a proper press for the end It's difficult to truly bond the metal.
What is wrong with your old cables?
There is an issue known with the throttle cable stretching out. The super hightech richie richie fix is... zip ties . Works perfect. Really.
You can also possibly cut the ends and get the generic set-screw cable end. But , zip ties is the fix.
Regarding HVAC cables.... are you talking about in the dash?

Back