I need help with changing tranny fluid in a 2017 ford explorer. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I need help with changing tranny fluid in a 2017 ford explorer.

rickyd123

Reaction score
City, State
Spokane
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 explorer xlt
I'm getting mixed messages about how often to change the fluid. The owners manual says 90k miles. And people on the web say anywhere from every 30k to 80k and various numbers in between. Also some people say to flush. while others say to just drain. My girlfriend got this as government surplus from the USDA. If the owner's manual says to change fluid at 90k, they wouldn't do it before and she bought it with 90,126 miles on it. So I'm changing it. I just don't know if I should flush or just change and how to do either yet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Owner's Manual for the 2017 Explorer shows;
1681580300071.png

A lot depends upon how the vehicle was used.
1681580419584.png

Peter

As for instructions on how to change the ATF I didn't find anything here. Did find several posts regarding discussing the changing of the fluid though.
Found this; transmission fluid change 2017 explorer - Google Search
Not sure if it's helpful. I think I'd do a drain and fill instead of a flush but that's up to you.

Peter

thanks. I emailed the youtube video so I can watch it when I'm ready to try to change the fluid.

Since it was a government vehicle, assume it should now be serviced on the "Severe Duty" schedule to be on the safer side. Unless you get it's service records, there's no telling how it was serviced before so just do the best you can going forward.

Do a pump and dump of a little more than the system's capacity and make sure the fluid ends up at the correct level when you're finished.

I do mine at 30k miles. I do this because when I changed it for the first time at 80k miles, it came out black. A good youtube channel I watch recommends 30k because of the non-serviceable filter. https://youtu.be/9xrP6N6hVIc Changing it more often prevents sludge build up in that filter -which can only be serviced by removing the whole transmission and splitting it open. That can get pricey.

I actually changed my trans fluid today. I use an open drain pan container with a measurement gauge etched into the side so I can see how much came out so I can replace that much into the transmission. I followed the procedure in the video I linked above.

Only use Mercon LV , Amazon has a case of 12 for about $100.

I do a drain and refill once a year because I am severe service. Tuned, towing, almost all city driving when not towing. Etc. Need 4.5 qts of Mercon LV and easy to do.

Drain and fill.

I use the "call me when its done" method.

Figure out what interval you want to replace the fluid at. It doesn’t really matter, as long as it’s approximately what the heavy use interval is. To be in the safe side, maybe a bit shorter. As a bit of additional insurance it may be a good idea to get someone to flush and fill the entire fluid capacity then just do drain/fills going forward

But if you’re going to drain/fill, all you need to do is get the vehicle level and up in the air far enough to work comfortably underneath. Let it sit as long as you want, overnight is fine. Drain the old fluid into one(maybe two to be safe) container. Fill the second container with the same amount of fluid and pour back in the trans.

The air filter housing will need to be removed to get to the fill tube and dipstick. Re-install for a test drive but it’ll be easier to remove again to double check the fluid level

Back