• Register Today It's free!

I need help

CamMcArthur01

Reaction score
City, State
Ogden, ut
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 ford ranger
I have a 1993 ford ranger. It's the 8 valve 4 cylinder motor. Ever since I bought it my heater has not worked. The temperature gauge doesn't rise. I put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator in winter time and the temperature gauge rose. But I got no heat from the vents still. Only cold air. I've changed the thermostat. I was told it could be the heater control bypass valve. But I'm having a hard time finding it as I'm not very good with this stuff. One of the hoses coming off the radiator and into the dash area is cold the other is warm.

I suggest taking the heater hoses off and try running water through the core with a garden hose to see if it's plugged first. If anyone ever put sealer in the system or ran straight water in it for some time, it can definitely clog the core on these. I actually have a friend with that year Ranger that clearly had sealer ran through it in the past and he comes by twice a winter to get it flushed out when it stops heating. Also, it really should be getting warm on the gauge, but only a stuck open thermostat or one that's too cold would cause that. Unless the gauge is not accurate.

Back