I ran a self CEL test. Help me figure it out (Video). | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I ran a self CEL test. Help me figure it out (Video).

BrianDye

I'll have another...
Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT
I ran the self test for the CEL, where you ground the STI, and then turn the key on and watch the CEL flash, I took a video, because ive honestly read and read about how to read the lights as a code, but I honestly cannot figure them out.

Can anyone help me?
Heres the video of when I turned the key on...
Also heres the link of the page where I was reading from:
http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/?p=13

Video:
It might not be availible for a few mins, It JUST uploaded!

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you sir :p
Im still just getting to know all of those smaller threads dedicated to this, sorry for posting it int he wrong section lol,
but the reason I didnt get a reader is because moneys really tight, id rather try it like this, and put the money towards the PS pump, and the little stuff it needs, and I cant drive it to AutoZone to get them read for free, because shes not plated yet lol

Thats not so bad, but thats another thing I dont understand, what are all the different types of codes and whatnot?

I see in teh KOEO test (key on, engine off)

337: EGR feedback signal is/was was high - EVR

and 214: Error in Cylinder ID (CID) circuit or signal - Ignition Systems

Now toss those codes into the search and read up. :)

Simple to read-

From the start- the first series of fast blinks is the system going into "code mode" as I call it.

Then,

blink...blink...blink <pause> blink...blink...blink <pause> blink...blink...blink...blink...blink...blink...blink is the 337 code.

The single blink is the separator which is telling you that now it will be showing the stored codes, which is where 337 shows up again, as well as 214.

Now run the KOER test. (Key on, engine running) and see what it says.

Ahhh, I was looking for codes 3, 3, and 7....didnt know that was once number :p
And When I start it, it idles at about 1500 RPM's and throws me 3 flashes....thats it...

Vid: (Started it once, then once more)

Thanks JoeDirt...once again lol

Let it go longer.

You will get the engine ID code on the Check Engine light (3 pulses for 6 cylinders) which was your 3 blinks.

The EEC will try to get its sensors to go to the extremes of their ranges. The car will run very poorly at times during this portion of the test- that was the elevated idle.
The motor will smooth out and idle. You will see a single flash of the Check Engine light.
After this flash, you have 10 seconds to turn the wheel both ways, hit the brake, and snap the throttle wide open, enough to get the engine above 2000 RPM, release the throttle, and let the engine return to idle. This is called the "goose test". If you have an automatic, you should also turn the overdrive on and off during this phase of the test.
The EEC will flash the Check Engine light to indicate any KOER on-demand codes it has found at the moment of the test. All codes are presented in sequence twice.

That's for my old Gen II SHO's, but the procedure is pretty much the same I think, I know sometimes I get the non-goose test code, or the trans code because of the not clicking O/d at the right time or something, but I can usually just discount those codes.

Alright, I have to goto work here in a bit, so ill have todo that tonight when I get back home, I did notice the engine sitting at 1500, then down to about 1000 RPMs then back up, so I kinda thought maybe it wasnt done lol.

Thanks for the info and ill be trying all this tonight...
with another vid :p

Okay, I think I did it right, once the engine went back to about 1000 and the CEL flashed, i hit O/D off, turned the wheel both ways, revved it to about 3k then turned OD back on, and the CEL flashed once real fast.

Vid:

How do I find out more info about the 337 code and the 214?
WOW I just realized KOEO=Key On Engine Off and KOER=Key On Engine Running

I feel stupid

Id be able to distinguish the codes...I think...but I just cant tell the differences, like when it flaches 3-3-7 then like blinks again to say a new code, i would read that as 3371 lol

Just put "code x.." into the search and the cornucopia of advice flows. :)

All of your codes will be 3 numbers...

Ahh okay, what are the codes from the KEOR test?

Back