• Register Today It's free!

Idler Pulleys on 4.6L

coghij1

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 4WD V8 4.6
So a couple months ago I replaced the idler pulleys on my 4.6 V8 (there are 2). Now one of the pulleys is already bad and I think I know why. I do recall the belt tensioner barely giving me enough room to squeeze the belt on. It was a 2 man job and a pain in the butt. Right now when I look at the tensioner it is almost completely maxed out! I think what happened is I put the wrong size pulleys in last time I changed them. I know I know, Im a moron...

3.5" pulley
35inch.jpg

3" pulley
3inch.jpg

Since I have two 3.5" pulleys on right now, my question for you guys is which idler pulley needs to be 3" and which one needs to be 3.5"?

If your not sure what size yours are by looking at them, try and grab a pic for me??? Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bump

Can anybody help?

I am not sure. I did just the tensioner pulley (on the tensioner) on my 04 v8 and I thought it was 3inchs. I could be wrong.

Thanks jakedrew. Does anyone else know which pullys i need to use? If not I'm going to just switch to the slightly smaller so that my belt tensioner isn't so close to maxed.

or you could run to the local ford shop and ask them?

... just switch to the slightly smaller so that my belt tensioner isn't so close to maxed.
I'd go this route. And once you find the right belt, get a permanent marker and write the part number and length somewhere (under the hood maybe) so you know next time it needs to be replaced.

Guess I never really followed up on here with what I did. The actual problem was the belt. When I replaced the pulley that one time, I also replaced the belt with one from checker or autozone. That belt fit on a little too snug. I changed it out with a motocraft belt and it fit just right! ;)

Thanks fellas

As far as asking my local Ford dealer's shop about anything, it's a waste of time. Only after you commit to a $200 checkout/diagnostic/estimate charge that they'll remove against any work done will they tell you anything. They will under no circumstances let you talk with a mechanic until after you've agreed to the ripoff charge scheme and only in the service dept. counter area. Insurance rules won't allow a customer into the shop area is the standard answer. To ask the 'advisors' anything no matter how simple will get you nowwhere.

Back