I'm new and I don't know much about cars. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I'm new and I don't know much about cars.

Andrewjs1

Reaction score
City, State
Oregon.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello whoever is reading this. My name is Andrew. I am currently 17 years old and live in Washington County, Oregon. I own a 1996 4.0L V6 XLT Explorer that has only stock appliances in it. I'm currently trying to find a place in Washington County that can do an inexpensive 3" lift on my Exploder. I also plan on getting a new exhaust system installed and buying some new shocks sometime soon.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome to the forums! Don't worry about not knowing too much about cars, The veterans here are extremely helpful and often provide step by step guides.

Welcome Andrew,3" raise sounds nice,but remember "if you RAISE it don't RACE it" watch those turns it can tip on you.Good luck...

if you want three inches of lift than your gonna have to do a body lift, and its gonna be from a ranger. the resone for this is with the torsin twist and shackel you cant go more than 2 in or youll be breaking componets like the cv shafts and tie rods.

Welcome, Andrew! :wavey:

As a suggestion, check out the subforums and some writeups- I'd take the money you'd be investing in the installation and use it to buy some tools- that way you can install your own lift, etc., and you'll have the tools to use later as well. Exhaust won't be too bad, and heck- shocks are just about the simplest thing to replace on these rigs...

Heck- we probably have members up your way that might help too...

Whoa, a lot of replies in a pretty short amount of time. Thanks for the support everyone! Considering that a body lift sounds a lot more difficult I may just go for a 2" lift (if that changes anything for getting a body lift). There's a mechanic in my town that specializes in exhaust systems and my older brother's girlfriend's Dad owns a --overpriced is an understatement-- mini Les Schwab per se. But all help for a mechanically handicapped person such as myself is much appreciated! :)

You'll have no problem with a TT/Shackles for that height- check this thread: CLICK

Then this one: Dead Link Removed

Then this one for the Warrior Shackles: CLICK

I have Warrior Shackles and the bars twisted on mine for a few inches of lift, it's a nice place to start until you're more familiar with your new Ex...

IMG02359-20110722-1942.jpg

...and comparing mine to a stock Ex on the left.

IMG01496-20110206-1426.jpg

How many times did you turn the bolt? I don't really want to fudge up the car too bad.

Hey Joe those stock tires or 31s?

I'll take some pictures of the exploder tonight and put them up. My Mom is using it right now to get groceries :'(

How many times did you turn the bolt? I don't really want to fudge up the car too bad.

I think a full 1-1/2 to 2" is somewhere around 6 turns, but every truck is different and all torsion bars came adjusted differently from the factory and then diminish strength over time. You'll have to adjust, drive truck back and forth a bit to let them settle, measure again, etc, etc... until you get the height you like, then when you're finished, you MUST have an alignment done. There is no set number of turns to get a desired height though.

Hey Joe those stock tires or 31s?

BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A 255 70R 16's. The Eddie next to me had 16" rims also, not sure on the tire size though.

My Mom is using it right now to get groceries :'(

Epic. :D

Back