In need of radio harness wiring diagram 2017 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

In need of radio harness wiring diagram 2017

wnofearw

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford PIU
If anyone has the wiring diagram for 2017 Ford PIU radio harness, could you please share? From what i could gather, it looks like the PIU may be missing a few wires on the harness.
any help is appreciated.
TY

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If anyone has the wiring diagram for 2017 Ford PIU radio harness, could you please share? From what i could gather, it looks like the PIU may be missing a few wires on the harness.
any help is appreciated.
TY
With Sync or the base model system? Premium sound system? All the wiring diagrams are different depending on which one you have.

With Sync or the base model system? Premium sound system? All the wiring diagrams are different depending on which one you have.
Thanks,
It’s a 2017 PIU. I do have sync but don’t know what version(2/3). It’s the 4” screen.

It's just SYNC in a FPIU. As in, "1".
Not entirely true. 2016-up years could be optioned to have"premium sound" from the factory, although you would be hard pressed to find one that was custom ordered that way. When I pulled up the wiring diagrams for the 2017 PIU in my repair database it lists multiple options for the police interceptor package. Although I have never seen a Sync touchscreen or the premium Sony system in a PIU, Ford lists them as options in their wiring diagram index for some reason. I would like to think that some lucky patrolman is out there is clocking speeders while enjoying the premium Sony Platinum sound system complete with subwoofer.

Thanks,
It’s a 2017 PIU. I do have sync but don’t know what version(2/3). It’s the 4” screen.
Use this link to determine which Sync you have:

2016-up sync ID chart.png

2011-2015 ID chart.png

One easy way to tell is to go into the settings and look up the version number. On Sync 3 and up this is listed as a number (i.e. v3.11, v3.4, etc).

With Sync versions below 3 on the 2011-2015 models it's listed as a FPN or CCPU number usually and doesn't show a "v3.4" sort of number.

With 2016-up Sync non-touchscreen it's listed as "v5.11", or a version higher than what Sync 3 is currently at (I think Sync 3 is current at v3.4 or close to it)... and if you scroll down in the System info the CCPU number is something like EG235bZ5.8 and doesn't look like the CCPU number for other Sync models.

Here are the wiring diagrams for the "base" police package in a 2017 specifically, plus the diagrams for Sync stuff and steering wheel button stuff. There are some other diagrams too if you don't see what you need on these.

c724d48e-3471-47c4-9799-d61481ca511dwrfm17explor110a.jpg

a822cf12-64a5-42be-84c8-143a923ab551wrfm17explor110b.jpg

9ba97b3f-7a76-451b-8732-27a5f667f875wrfm17explor110c.jpg

83aead0a-5823-49b8-8ea7-df3a40104803wrfm17explor111a.jpg

da3c1e4f-0150-4255-accb-f4f32da289ecwrfm17explor114a.jpg

Thanks a million for all the diagrams! Very helpful. Unfortunately I can’t find the Acc power to the radio….
Also thanks for the pictures of sync. Looks like I have Sync 1.1

Thanks a million for all the diagrams! Very helpful. Unfortunately I can’t find the Acc power to the radio….
Also thanks for the pictures of sync. Looks like I have Sync 1.1
Looks like it gets power from CDC54, a white wire with green stripe, from the battery junction box.

c8ad41ba-0561-4a8f-9971-2ba091c4fb3fwrfm17explor020b.jpg

It may seem that my PIU may have been butchered when it has police equipment installed. There is two white/green cables(one in harness to CD player and one in harness to sync module behind screen), neither gets power when car is on.

Looks like it gets power from CDC54, a white wire with green stripe, from the battery junction box.
That's not power to the audio unit (ACM), it's a starter signal intended to disable the audio system while the starter may be engaged.

Unfortunately I can’t find the Acc power to the radio….

The ACM is always powered, it's turned on or off via network messages.

So sounds like my only option is to find an acc wire somewhere and run to new radio.
Anyone install aftermarket radios and ran into this issue?

Not entirely true. 2016-up years could be optioned to have"premium sound" from the factory, although you would be hard pressed to find one that was custom ordered that way. When I pulled up the wiring diagrams for the 2017 PIU in my repair database it lists multiple options for the police interceptor package. Although I have never seen a Sync touchscreen or the premium Sony system in a PIU, Ford lists them as options in their wiring diagram index for some reason. I would like to think that some lucky patrolman is out there is clocking speeders while enjoying the premium Sony Platinum sound system complete with subwoofer.
just because the diagram is like that doesn't mean it was produced. I've never heard of this in PI or even seen it as an ordering option 13-19 years.

It may be listed in wiring diagrams, but not listed in the dealer order guides for the 2016 FPIU. I'd be glad to see one that was so equipped...

Back