• Register Today It's free!

In search of a new vechile.

technobandit96

Reaction score
City, State
Taylorsville
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XL 4WD
Hey guys. I'm posting here becuase I dont know where I should for this. My schedule is going to get buzy next month and I need a daily and reliable explorer. Any tips or suggestions I should look out for? Should I use kbb to help me find a good price range for these kinds of crossovers? Is there anything I should watch put for? This needs to be a daily driver friendly crossover.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is a reply I made to a previous post asking nearly the same question:

Get a 2009 or 2010 V8. The reasons are:
  • The V8 is more reliable than the V6 and doesn't have the expensive to repair timing chain issues common on the V6.
  • The V8 doesn't require removal of the engine to replace the chains and guides, if necessary.
  • The V8 is paired with the six speed transmission which is more robust, reliable and smoother shifting than the five speeds used in the V6s.
  • The V8 gets better gas mileage as the V6 and has a good bit more power.
  • The 2009 and 2010 V8 models have the newer design spark plugs so the chance of breaking them off during replacement is lower.
  • The wiring insulation appears to be better and does not deteriorate like it can on the 2006-2008 models.
  • The 2009 and 2010 V8 models have the beefier 6R80 transmission that has a higher torque rating than the 6R60 transmissions in the 2006-2008 V8 models.
Personally, I wouldn't buy a V6 3rd or 4th gen model unless it had well under 100k miles on it. Even then I would immediately install a pre-oiler to limit the odds of a timing chain/guide failure. Also, the V6s have the five speed transmissions that are almost guaranteed to need a rebuild as the miles rack up over 100k. There are still plenty of V8 models to buy but you have to be patient to snag a good one. My advice is to buy one that hasn't lived in the rust belt. Even if you have to travel to find one. Lastly, a Carfax report will tell you where a vehicle has spent the majority of its life and give you some info on maintenance history and might indicate collision damage.

I should also mention I'm a college student with not a lot of money in his bank account either.

I should also mention I'm a college student with not a lot of money in his bank account either.
The worst thing you can do is buy something cheap and then spend a ton of money doing expensive repairs. To be honest, buying a SUV is not the best choice for your situation. There are a lot of cars that can be bought for a good price, that gets good MPG and are easy and inexpensive to repair. You can buy $2,500 2002-2005 Explorers/Mountaineers, or other brand SUVs, all day long but there is usually a reason they are so cheap. It is because they have problems and people are trying to unload them before they break down completely. A decent older four cylinder car with around 100k miles, or less, will serve you well and if you find one with a manual transmission it will increase its level of reliability a great amount. It might not be flashy but it will get you back and forth to school for little money.

4th generation Explorers/Mountaineers are old vehicles now..10+ years. A vehicle this old will likely need something down the line work wise (if not right away) upon purchase. I do preventative maintenance to the extent possible when I buy a new to me vehicle, which isn't cheap if you are having a shop do things like fluid changes (differentials, transmission, coolant, etc.) or having to replace other components.

If you have a shoestring budget, do what Eddie suggested and get a reliable/economical vehicle. Explorers and Mountaineers are not economical in my opinion :). They are good for what they can do, but they don't sip petrol like some smaller cars.

If you need more room than a 4-banger can provide, look into a Crown Vic or Grand Marquis. The Mercurys have typically less miles and were owned by older folks and not run into the ground like some of the Crown Vics. They can be had for cheap.

My two vehicles right now are an 05 Corolla and 05 Explorer v8.

If I was currently in college I would only have the Toyota.

I agree with Eddie, and I would recommend a Toyota car.

My two vehicles right now are an 05 Corolla and 05 Explorer v8.

If I was currently in college I would only have the Toyota.

I agree with Eddie, and I would recommend a Toyota car.
I agree.
If he can find a Toyota or Lexus SUV, the chances of problems are very low. Something like GX or RX or the Toyota equivalent.

Problem is they are not common and EXPENSIVE used. No wonder?

I have Lexus AWD sedan now and it has zero issues. I replaced shocks because "I wanted to." The forums are very different than these. Very few major issues. Certainly not perfect but high reliability and small chance for major work.

I just posted in another thread where the price of a 2010 Lexus GX 460 in my area was over $10k more than I paid for my Mountaineer and it had 20K more miles on it. The ones in the price range I paid for mine are five years older and have well over 200k miles on them. I can buy three 2010 V8 Mountaineers for the price of the one 2010 GX 460. If I put $10k in repairs into my Mountaineer over the years I could likely get 300k-400k miles out of it. I know the GX 460 will need a lot of repairs, probably some that are expensive, to see the same mileage level. It is hard to beat the overall value of decently built American vehicles. The key is to pick the ones with longevity potential. Especially in regard to the drive train. The 4.6 V8s are proven to be very durable engines and the 6R60/80 transmissions are holding up well in vehicles like the F series trucks, Mustangs and 4th gen SUVs.

I just posted in another thread where the price of a 2010 Lexus GX 460 in my area was over $10k more than I paid for my Mountaineer and it had 20K more miles on it. The ones in the price range I paid for mine are five years older and have well over 200k miles on them. I can buy three 2010 V8 Mountaineers for the price of the one 2010 GX 460. If I put $10k in repairs into my Mountaineer over the years I could likely get 300k-400k miles out of it. I know the GX 460 will need a lot of repairs, probably some that are expensive, to see the same mileage level. It is hard to beat the overall value of decently built American vehicles. The key is to pick the ones with longevity potential. Especially in regard to the drive train. The 4.6 V8s are proven to be very durable engines and the 6R60/80 transmissions are holding up well in vehicles like the F series trucks, Mustangs and 4th gen SUVs.
Agreed, those GXes are very overpriced in my opinion. I think the Explorer though is a safer and better truck in many ways, and it could be economical depending on your expectations. I know of two that needed trans rebuilds around the 130K mark(One was a '10 V8).

Also, I think people hold on to them for a long time. I don't think the 6rXX has anywhere near the quality of the Toyota 6 speed (A760). Maybe recently things have leveled out. The ZF trans in the Explorer is used in many BMWs, however. Not horrible but but not an Aisin. Ford was using Aisin transmissions in one of the Fusions, again, probably not cost effective.

The 3v engine has cam phaser issues and manifolds, both extensive repairs. Not extremely common but it happens. Toyotas 4.6L actually is very similar to Fords 4.6L DOHC (and now the Coyote), which was was never installed in an Explorer due to cost.

My Lexus GS sedan uses an AWD system that is very similar to the Aerostars :lol:. They are using it to this day. Planetary TC that can lock. I'm sure there are better electronics controlling it, but they created a system that is pretty much indestructible.

Agree that the Explorers are more prone to repairs, but I can get Explorer parts at any parts store or online fairly easy. Not sure about Lexus/Toyota vehicles. But in general from what I hear from friends and family, Honda and Toyota cars and likes are more reliable. I just find it much easier to work on a mid or full size SUV frame based than a car. Whenever I need to do something on my wife's Murano, I am not exactly looking forward to it. It's just very tight, the v8 in Explorer takes most of the space but I think it's still beter.

The worst thing you can do is buy something cheap and then spend a ton of money doing expensive repairs. To be honest, buying a SUV is not the best choice for your situation. There are a lot of cars that can be bought for a good price, that gets good MPG and are easy and inexpensive to repair. You can buy $2,500 2002-2005 Explorers/Mountaineers, or other brand SUVs, all day long but there is usually a reason they are so cheap. It is because they have problems and people are trying to unload them before they break down completely. A decent older four cylinder car with around 100k miles, or less, will serve you well and if you find one with a manual transmission it will increase its level of reliability a great amount. It might not be flashy but it will get you back and forth to school for little money.

Eddie is right on the money on this. SUV's are expensive for what they are. I would only get an SUV if you really think you need one. Wanting one is not good enough.

If you want reliability and cheap, the Grand Marquis or non-emergency Crown Victoria is perhaps even more reliable than Ford's SUVs. They are full frame based like the SUVs, have V8s like the reliable SUVs. What they don't have is 4wd, and all the modern goodies you might find on an Explorer. This actually helps to make them more reliable.

If you want power and the "cool" factor, look for a Marauder or CV sport, but you will likely pay more for one of those.

Explorers, especially the later of the '06-'10 are reliable and fun to drive. But they are pricey for what they are.

If you want power and the "cool" factor, look for a Marauder or CV sport, but you will likely pay more for one of those.
I will add the 1994-2004 Mustangs to the list of very reliable cars. Especially the ones with manual transmissions. A GT can be bought for way less than $5k and they are very easy and cheap to maintain and repair. I have owned three Mustangs in my life and all of them have been ultra reliable. They also get decent gas mileage if you keep your right foot light.

Back