install manual polaris rzr tensioners in 4.0 sohc | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

install manual polaris rzr tensioners in 4.0 sohc

02ex4x4

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
just put another 4.0 sohc together and dropped it in a driver of mine runs did the rear cassette , primary chain guides and disabled the balance shaft and put a set of new used ford tensioners in it. I left the drivers secondary chain setup alone as it looked perfect . runs pretty nice but sometimes at idle the front bank will get noisy give it a slight bump in rpm and it goes away instantly. I think I may have a faulty tensioner may be sticky from the junk engine that I was troubleshooting on with it before I installed it in this engine. I removed it and pumped it up and it seems to be staying quiet now. debating on putting in a another new ford tensioner or thought about putting a manual one from a rzr in . anybody running one? or is it possible maybe I am loosing some oil pressure? the rear cassette was broken but I was able to retrieve 90% of it so I never dropped the pan. maybe a clogged pickup? but not getting any low oil pressure indicators and back bank is fine. anybody running a manual one ? how long? how often you set preload? how much preload?

Removed the lower pan and found the rest if the chain cassette for the rear In the pickup tube or around it so far so good. Bet it was just lacking pressure

If you have to ask how to set the preload then don't do it the proper setting there is no preload you set it by feel till the chain has no slack no more
you have to have it running while you do the finale adjustment

Back