Installed a new rack and pinion . It run well but I did not reprogram it | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installed a new rack and pinion . It run well but I did not reprogram it

Edime

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer 2.0
Last August I installed a new rack and pinion since the power steering fault appeared on my dashboard and my steering suddenly became hard to maneuver . I went to my mechanic and we were able to get a new rack and pinion. Installed it and it ran without reprogramming. However suddenly my service track and abs faults appeared on my dashboard . And my turn signal switch stopped working also. Brought it to the Ford dealer and they said that I had the wrong power steering module installed since they can’t reprogram it. Is this really true? His come my steering went to normal when the new rack and pinion was installed. I need help please as the cost of the rack and pinion is really significant . I joined this forum to seek suggestions on possible solutions to these problems I have.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Just curious as to the mileage on your Explorer. Ford has a warranty extension on the steering issue up to 150K miles but since you had it 'repaired' by an independent mechanic it may no longer apply to you. Ford's first attempt to correct the steering issue was a software reprogram but that didn't seem to fix it. Then it was to replace the steering rack.
Also, I don't see a connection between the steering issue and the turn signal problem. Did Ford say anything about that?
This may be the part; https://parts.autonationfordwhitebe...4cGxvcmVyJnk9MjAxMyZ0PXhsdCZlPTItMGwtbDQtZ2Fz

Peter

Last August I installed a new rack and pinion since the power steering fault appeared on my dashboard and my steering suddenly became hard to maneuver . I went to my mechanic and we were able to get a new rack and pinion. Installed it and it ran without reprogramming. However suddenly my service track and abs faults appeared on my dashboard . And my turn signal switch stopped working also. Brought it to the Ford dealer and they said that I had the wrong power steering module installed since they can’t reprogram it. Is this really true? His come my steering went to normal when the new rack and pinion was installed. I need help please as the cost of the rack and pinion is really significant . I joined this forum to seek suggestions on possible solutions to these problems I have.
Did you use the ford oem part or the one off AutoZone? https://www.autozone.com/suspension...ion/p/endurance-rack-pinion-64539e/184065_0_0 Also did you ever solve the problem by anychance I'm looking to do my sooon.

Back