Installing 2 amps, 4 speakers, and a stealthbox... what do i need?? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing 2 amps, 4 speakers, and a stealthbox... what do i need??

What are the makes and wattages of your amps? Just curious. Also, where are you running the 4AWG through the firewall? I'm thinking of running my 4AWG through the hood release grommet. Will find out how feasible that is when my cable arrives Friday from onlinecarstereo.com.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i've got an old precision power apa-425 4x25w rms and a new alpine mrv-100m which is 1x100w rms, 240w max.

i don't know what the max is on the ppi. when i had it in my last car, i used a 25w fuse, and alpine recommends a 30w fuse for the mrv-100m.

as for where we're going to run the wire through the firewall, i haven't really thought about it yet. thought we'd just figure it out when we started.

Hey, first of all, the t15 is deffinitly not for the seat belts, its either a t 50 or 55.. Let me know when ya figure out the exact size and how the installation goes because when I save up the money, I want to do the same to mine.. (especially the stealthbox) I also have a few questions.. I have a used farad cap, how do I install it? (before the dist block?) I am also curious about amps, I will need one for the subs and probably for the door speakers.. Where can I hide these at? I'm guessing the sub amp could go where the factory amp is now but is there enough room for two? How much room do I have to work with there? What kind of amps would work well with the jl box/speaker? I think its rated for 125rms if I'm not mistaken.. Oh yeah, Hey mrsteve, I may have to recruit your help for this install since we are so close to each other.. I work in Morgantown and live about 30 mins away..

You don't need the cap with that amount of power. It will save you wiring headaches. If you need help I could find some time. Just swing on by.

Steve

Yeah, I probably don't need it but since I already have it.. I figure I should put it in to... :D How are these amps attached under the seat? just make brackets to the metal edges or what?

when you hookl up the capacitor, install it as close to the subwoofer amp as you can get it.

If I'm not mistaken I think you can just screw the amp into the bottom of the seat. But I dont' think there is enough room on the 1st gen explorers for an amp. Your best bet would be to install it back near the stealth box.

Steve

chad,

i think you'd be interested in this...

http://www.ritop.com/explorer/index.htm

they did an install in a 94 explorer and were able to fit 2 amps in a custom amp rack in the factory location. only problem that i see is that they custom fabbed a box for the jl sub, and their box doesn't take up as much room as the regular jl stealthbox does.

with the regular jl stealthbox, you probably won't be able to mount two amps back there.

as for beneath the seats, i've seen people just mount on the car floor beneath the seats (if the amps are small enough, the floor isn't entirely flat down there) and others have mounted the amps upside down bolted to the bottom of the seats. in order to do this, you need to custom fab some kind of amuminum mounting plate.

many people have said that this is not a good idea in regards to heat dissipation. but the people that have done it haven't reported any problems so far. as for me, i'm undecided as to how i want to mount my amps.

Thats what I'm looking for.. I guess I'm going to have to get the stuff I know I need and see what I have to work with.. Thanks guys..

Back