Intake manifold question......long | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intake manifold question......long

Chris Jella'

Reaction score
City, State
Rolla, Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Eddie 4Dr 4X4
Hi all. The other day I took the intake off of my 93 to check/tighten the lower intake manifold bolts for good measure. I did have a couple that were a bit loose so I tightened them and cleaned the intake runners, butterfly, cables, etc while I was in there. At some point I'd like to change out the lower manifold gasket as I bought the gasket kit for it. My question, where can I get a new set of studs that hold the fuel rail and lower manifold down, then the intake bolts to them also. It looks like someone had them off before and messed up some of the Torx heads, making it hard to get an accurate torque on them. I'd like to replace them when I change the gasket. Anyone know the part number??
Also, my engine has been surging for quite some time when accelerating mildly, like less than half throttle. It's a smooth surge, not like it's misfiring, and doesn't act like it's a tranny problem. I was leaning toward the fuel pressure regulator, but don't have a fuel pressure gauge to check it. It runs flawlessly other than the surging and I get between 290-320 miles per tank. Plugs are recent +4's and they look fine, new plug wires,cleaned MAF again last weekend, cleaned and reoiled Amsoil filter, recent fuel filter, and always reset the computer when I do something to it, etc. Just looking for something before I start throwing parts at it!!
Thanks,
CJ

Chris,

I can't help you with your intake manifold questions but, the surge you describe is similar to what I experienced a couple of years ago with my '95. The shop I took it to said the MAS was bad based on the codes they got when it was hooked up to the diagnostic computer. I do not know what the code number was. They replaced the MAS and everything has been fine ever since. Hope this helps.

Somewhere on this site are instructions for cleaning the MAS. I'd do that before anything since it is essentially free.
Whoops, I see you already cleaned it twice. OK, do you have access to a code reader? It may help you find the errant sensor. I suspect you'll find something with it.

As far as the bolts/studs, I don't know the part number, but you'll probably have to get your dealer to order the studs for you. I don't imagine they are normally in stock.

[Edited by Tom Wilk on 07-31-2000 at 09:45 AM]

AgExplorer and Tom,
I guess it could be the MAS, but I'm not showing any codes on it. My check engine light has come on, but only 3 times in the 7 months and 14,000 miles I've had it. And all three were while parked and idling at the boat ramp. As soon as I drove it a 100 feet or so it went out. All three were O2 sensors. I'm trying to borrow a fuel pressure gauge to check the regulator. But if that's it, my mileage hasn't gone down yet, which seems to be a sign. But I'd hate to change both 02 sensors only to trash them afterwards because the regulator is bad too. I'll let you know what I find out.
CJ

Back