Interaction of "Lane Keeping" and "Lane Centering" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Interaction of "Lane Keeping" and "Lane Centering"

Rubberhead

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Mill, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2023 Timberline w/TechPak
Disclaimer: So with more and more technology crammed into vehicles nowadays there are an exponentially increasing number of combinations/permutations that can happen with settings. Sometimes, when odd combinations of technologies don't work as expected it could be that 1) that combination doesn't even make sense, 2) there's a perfectly logical reason the combination doesn't work a certain way, or 3) the combination does work but it really should.

Knowing that, here's my situation and question:
When the Lane Keeping system is turned on, it activates and performs as expected once the car's speed is >40 MPH. No problem there. But, when I turn on the cruise control and Lane Centering, even if it's not active, the Lane Keeping system will not activate at all. Only when I turn off the Lane Centering feature while keeping Cruise Control on but not active, does the Lane Keeping system activate when it should. Basically with Cruise Control and Lane Center on but not active, Lane Keeping will not activate when it should. Is this on purpose or is there a reason? It seems like if I de-active the Cruise Control that the Lane Keeping should work as usual. Thanks for any thoughts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Disclaimer: So with more and more technology crammed into vehicles nowadays there are an exponentially increasing number of combinations/permutations that can happen with settings. Sometimes, when odd combinations of technologies don't work as expected it could be that 1) that combination doesn't even make sense, 2) there's a perfectly logical reason the combination doesn't work a certain way, or 3) the combination does work but it really should.

When the Lane Keeping system is turned on, it activates and performs as expected once the car's speed is >40 MPH. No problem there. But, when I turn on the cruise control and Lane Centering, even if it's not active, the Lane Keeping system will not activate at all. Only when I turn off the Lane Centering feature while keeping Cruise Control on but not active, does the Lane Keeping system activate when it should. Basically with Cruise Control and Lane Center on but not active, Lane Keeping will not activate when it should. Is this on purpose or is there a reason? It seems like if I de-active the Cruise Control that the Lane Keeping should work as usual. Thanks for any thoughts.
Is the lanes on the road in good sight. Mine on my fusion doesn't work if the lines on the road are washed out. Also mine will lane center on its own.

Is the lanes on the road in good sight. Mine on my fusion doesn't work if the lines on the road are washed out. Also mine will lane center on its own.
Good question, yes. I have never had Lake Keeping activate in any road conditions when Lane Centering was on but not active.

This old brain is having a bit of a difficult time trying to comprehend the issue. Perhaps it's the terminology. When you say the feature is ON are you referring to the feature being selected in the Settings? Otherwise, I don't see how a feature can be ON and not active. To me, it's either ON (active) or OFF (disabled). I don't use either feature but would guess that if Lane Centering is active, there would be no need to have Lane Keeping active since the first feature should keep you from drifting.

Peter :dunno:

This old brain is having a bit of a difficult time trying to comprehend the issue. Perhaps it's the terminology. When you say the feature is ON are you referring to the feature being selected in the Settings? Otherwise, I don't see how a feature can be ON and not active. To me, it's either ON (active) or OFF (disabled). I don't use either feature but would guess that if Lane Centering is active, there would be no need to have Lane Keeping active since the first feature should keep you from drifting.

Peter :dunno:

You need to engage the lane centering using the button with steering wheel symbol on the steering wheel. The display will have a green outline and green steering wheel when Lane centering is engaged.

You need to engage the lane centering using the button with steering wheel symbol on the steering wheel. The display will have a green outline and green steering wheel when Lane centering is engaged.
Thank you. I understand how lane centering works but the question in post #4 remains.

Peter

Is what your saying if you the cruise control is turned on but not set the Lane Centering works but if the cruise is set it won't work. Do you have lane keep assist on how about in your menu. I don't have a explorer but on our expedition and my fusion it can be done.

Is what your saying if you the cruise control is turned on but not set the Lane Centering works but if the cruise is set it won't work. Do you have lane keep assist on how about in your menu. I don't have a explorer but on our expedition and my fusion it can be done.
I don't use either feature. I was just trying to see how a feature can be ON but not active. If I turn Lane Keeping ON. I believe it is automatically Active.

Peter

Likely operator error as we say in the tech business.

Rubberhead: my 23 ST works the same as yours.
It would appear that if you want lane keeping assist to work with the Cruise Control On (either on/inactive or on/active) you will need to turn off Lane Centering. Once you turn on Cruise Control, Lane Centering will override Lane Keeping system if it is also active. Hope this helps answer your question.

Rubberhead: my 23 ST works the same as yours.
It would appear that if you want lane keeping assist to work with the Cruise Control On (either on/inactive or on/active) you will need to turn off Lane Centering. Once you turn on Cruise Control, Lane Centering will override Lane Keeping system if it is also active. Hope this helps answer your question.
Tested mine the other night and it works the same way in the Aviator. With Active Cruise Control active you can activate Lane Centering but Lane Keeping will not display which makes sense since both are designed to do somewhat the same function. To keep you from drifting out of your lane.

Peter

Back