• Register Today It's free!

Intermittent AC power problem.

orange 94

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford explorer xlt
I did a quick search and didn't see a similar problem so I'm hoping to get some solution to my AC problem from the experts.

Ok this the weirdest thing ever. I don't know if I have a problem with the on and off switch or some other problem.

I have 1994 XLT with manual AC controls and what happens is, of course it happens only in hot to scorching hot days when I turned the car on AC blower doesn't work. I mean dead as a door knob but once I start driving it kicks in and starts working, but there is no way of knowing how long would it be before it starts working. It could be minute or fifteen minutes and to make the matters worse all of my windows are stuck shut so I cook mt butt off until it starts working.

Weird part i... it never failed to work during the winter or it would work just fine in cooler days. In fact sometimes it would come on when I turn the ignition on to prime the pump and once I start the car it stops blowing and wouldn't come on for a while.

So...does anyone have any idea what this could be and where should I start looking for trouble shooting?

Someone said it could have low refrigerant so I went and bought a can of refrigerant and I would take any, plus when it finally works it's ice cold even on a scorching day.

Also, playing with the power button, turning the switch on and off does nothing. It just has mind of it's own.

Just to clarify are you talking about the compressor kicking in or the fan turning on? From the sound of your post, the fan isn't coming on. The compressor couldn't turn on when you turn the ignition since it's driven by the engine, not electrical. There's just 1 fan for both the heater and AC so it shouldn't be too terrible to figure out what's going on.

Yeah it's just the AC/heat blower fan. Even if I turn the AC off, blower won't come in until it feels like it. lol

Back