Intermittent Extremely Loud Noise(Driver Side Front Tire) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intermittent Extremely Loud Noise(Driver Side Front Tire)

IsaacJB97

Reaction score
City, State
Wylie, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer xlt 5.0
I cant even begin to know where to start with this one. You know that sound a bicycle wheel makes when you put a playing card in the spokes? Ok, imagine that noise but much much much louder and steel on steel!
The noise sounds like it’s coming from the driver side front tire/suspension area.

Starting from a complete stop, the noise is as loud as it will ever get but the clack clack clack gets faster as the vehicle increases speed. Not only is the extremely loud clack clack clack noise present, it’s accompanied by some loud, hard creaking, especially during slow turns. Here’s the worst part: it’s intermittent. I’ll have it for a couple days straight then for a day it’ll stop and all I’ll hear is the same sound but significantly quieter, I mean to the point where it’s almost unnoticeable. Then it’ll show back up out of nowhere with the same relentless intensity as before. Does anyone have any idea what is going on? I don’t really want to start throwing suspension parts on without having a general idea of what the issue could be. Thanks.
1997 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0 AWD 205,460miles (AWD has been disengaged for at least 100,000 miles)

That sounds exactly like what my CV axles sounded like before I replaced them. I'd check the boots to see of any are torn.

That’s it. That boot is shredded and there is grease everywhere! Thank you sir.

Back