Introducing myself

just_a_car

Reaction score
City, State
Auburn, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Hey all,

Just picked up a 1997 Ford Explorer XLT with the 4.0L SOHC V6 a week and a half ago and have gleaned so much valuable info from the website that I just had to register.

I was raised a Ford guy by my father and have owned an '88 T-bird with a 3.8L V6 which my dad and I replaced head gaskets on... what a chore. I've also got a '72 Mustang Mach1 with a 351 Cleveland 2 barrel that I've put a Holley 650cfm double pumper 4 barrel carb that feeds into an Edelbrock aluminum performer intake.

The sad thing is that I've been driving a 1991 Honda Civic CRX Si for the last 5 or so years due to the gas milage being consistently around 35MPG. It also stranded me from getting to work a couple months ago in the snow so I decided I needed 4x4 capability... thus the Explorer search commenced.

There are quite a few issues with it, but the body is straight and the interior is decent, so I'm going to work on the other issues bit by bit.

Any-who, I hope to kick around here quite a bit... there seems to be quite the friendly atmosphere.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just_a_car,
Welcome to the forum.

Thanks all for the warm welcome. I'm currently crossing my fingers that the rain here in Auburn will stop so I can change the plugs and wires in my Explorer.... It looks like the previous owner only changed out the plugs and wires on the 4 accessible plugs and wires, leaving the two rear passenger side ones in place. Soooo, I'm thinking that might be where I'm getting my CEL-on/flashing and the PCM Keep Alive Memory Test Error code.

SUCCESS!!!

Using a few different threads on here about changing the plugs and wires on the 97 SOHC V6 Explorer, I was able to beat up my arms, bruise the crap outta my hands... oh yeah, and get all 6 plugs and wires changed out.

The rear two plugs on the passenger side were TOAST. The upper electrode that curves up over the other electrode on both was eaten away by about half from erosion.

But, once I replaced them all with Autolite double platinum plugs and Duralast 8mm Double Silicone wires, it started up and ran super smooth... rough running is gone and the bog-down-on-acceleration at highway speeds is also gone.

I am so relieved that it was that simple of a fix... and many thanks to all those that contributed to the threads I referenced; no way I could recall them all, just a general thanks.

Back