Is NAV merely a software upgrade?

brianp

Reaction score
City, State
Barrie, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi All,

Quick question (yes, I searched before posting!).

Is NAV simply a software upgrade or does it involve an entirely different head end unit and antenna?

We bought our XLT without NAV, but now wonder if it can be retrofitted with NAV?

Thanks!

Brian.

This actually has been discussed here before, but even with a search, finding the info can be very difficult.

The understanding is that the hardware is present on the vehicle, but the software isn't. So far Ford says that Navigation must be installed at the factory. BUT... and this is a big but, since it is software only, a firmware update should be able to activate the navigation. At this point in time, Ford representatives have stated that it might be possible in the future to do these upgrades (for a fee I imagine), but that there are no plans for this at the present time. I think it has to do with software licensing and the such.

So, after all that (and a bunch of 'but's), yes, it should be possible, but it is not available at this time, and there are no promises that it will ever be made available.

Hope that answers your question :)

Yeah, GPS is definitely in all MFT vehicles. You can go to the settings and push the Where Am I button and your Long/Lat is displayed even without NAV.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll wait and see if Ford ever decides to release it as a sw upgrade.

Brian.

Back