• Register Today It's free!

Is the an ECU for the gearbox?

marcjagman

Reaction score
City, State
Barnsley
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer 4.0
Okay I bought a cheap Explorer, 1999 model, cheap because it has minor issues. Wont go into 1st gear, only goes into 2nd if I use the gearstick but it does seem as though it is trying to go into 1st, and is fine in D. I susspect that I may need a new solenoid for the gearbox but don't know which one and/or an ECU if it has one. There seems to be a little screen bellow to miles counter, is this for the P,R,N,D,",! display as it isn't illuminated. Only runs on LPG since a back fire through the air filter but I will look into that later. Can anyone point me in the right direction as where I need to be looking please?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, there is a module for the trans. It is usually in the same PCM as the engine control, but there are a few programs that have a separate module. The solenoids are inside the trans. Probably neither is your problem. That is a common failure on these (many threads about it here), and usually means full trans rebuild.

Sounds like your gear selector is messed up. Nothing with the transmission itself, just the dash indicator might be misaligned, somebody played with the dash (changed light bulbs?)and didn't put it back like it was.

Hhmm, 2 completely different replies, but sound good. I'll start with easiest I think which will be the selector lever, did I mention this is a UK car?

Does the car take off in 1st as normal if you select D?

Does the car take off in 1st as normal if you select D?

No it doesn't, it tries to change down, almost a banging noise, very hard to explain. When you put it into 1 it literally moves inches the into 2nd. If you put it in D it sets of in top gear.

No it doesn't, it tries to change down, almost a banging noise, very hard to explain. When you put it into 1 it literally moves inches the into 2nd. If you put it in D it sets of in top gear.

Well it's not a selector problem then.
It will be valve body or solenoids.

Back