Issues with the 2016 Noted by Consumer Reports | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Issues with the 2016 Noted by Consumer Reports

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only thing I would agree with CR on is that the A pillar/post is rather large in the EX but I'd rather that just in case some how we ended up on our roof and having a chance to make it out.

CR is right about the platform being old though. The D4 platform is just a revised D3 platform and that platform is just a copy cat Volvo platform. Instead of using aluminum, Ford cheaped out and used steel instead so the car is way heavier than it should be. The Taurus is a great example of that.

When I initially got the Explorer, the pillars were a bit huge at first coming from the 2nd Gen but you grow used to them and you realize they aren't that big at all. Rear visibility is limited but all you really need are those blind spot mirrors if you don't have BLISS which work really well for me.

The Explorer is so nimble compared to the 2nd Gen so I guess I didn't really notice the sloppy cornering abilities. However, the suspension did soften up and body lean is more apparent now with 34K miles and cornering ability is a bit lame now. When it was new, it was great. It kept flat on the corners, etc.

Also, blwnsmoke, Motor Trend pooped on the Explorer years ago with their review, and I'd say they are right because that 2.0L Ecoboost is too weak for a vehicle this heavy.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suvs/1108_ford_explorer_ecoboost_test/

That being said, I love my Explorer, but I had to make plenty of dealer trips to fix this car. Wayyyy too many problems for a new vehicle to have... And I still don't have all my issues fixed like oil in my intake tube, and burnt smell after hard acceleration. Not one vehicle has not had a trip to the dealer. The 2013 Ford Fusion Titanium, the 2014 Ford F-150 that many family owns both had safety recalls, and various quality control issues, and it's such a waste of time and gas for me to go to the dealership when I should be focusing on my productivity and work.

Mechanically, these vehicles have not failed me and I hope they don't in the future. That's all I care about, and the way Fords are packaged are pretty nice so I'll keep buying them mainly because Ford Customer Care has been pretty helpful and the dealer is pretty nice.

With all that being said, I'm happy Ford did the Platinum as it is definitely the most luxurious and beautiful Ford to date. I hate having to choose between options when I want everything. Hopefully, they will slap on a 10 speed automatic, in the future, SYNC 3, and I'll totally be in the market for another SUV.

......With all that being said, I'm happy Ford did the Platinum as it is definitely the most luxurious and beautiful Ford to date. I hate having to choose between options when I want everything. Hopefully, they will slap on a 10 speed automatic, in the future, SYNC 3, and I'll totally be in the market for another SUV.
An article I read this morning mentioned that the next Expedition may have an aluminum body and 10 speed transmission. When I went back to the article a few hours later, that info along with a 'source' stating the Flex is ending production, was removed.

Peter

I still remember buying my first new cars back in the 70's. I had a 71, 73, 74 75, 77, 79, and 81 from all from American Manufacturers. Nobody would accept the problems I had with those cars today. 4 were what we call SUVs today. Chevy Blazers and Jeep Cherokees. 3 were sedans, Chevy, Oldsmobile and Ford.

All of these were back to the dealer numerous times for problems that would be considered serious today. Stalling, brakes, steering, transmission, transfer case, U-joints, etc.

Point is, cars are really, really good today compared with the 70's and early 80's vehicles. We complain about really minor issues because they are so good.

There are lots of little niggling things that aren't perfect in the Explorer, but compared to a 1974 Jeep Cherokee, it is light years ahead. I certainly don't want to go back to those kinds of vehicles which were really crude compared to today.

Also, blwnsmoke, Motor Trend pooped on the Explorer years ago with their review, and I'd say they are right because that 2.0L Ecoboost is too weak for a vehicle this heavy.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suvs/1108_ford_explorer_ecoboost_test/

Completely agree with them on that. The 2.0 should have never been put into the Explorer. I actually think the 2.3 is also too small. I think Ford should have gone with the 3.5 NA as a base motor with the 2.7Eco as the optional and keep the 3.5 Eco for the Sport/Plat trim.

I will say that with the many issues I have with CR, one of them is how they test the vehicles for MPG. First, they have a "proprietary" testing method that they will not tell the public. So basically they test vehicles and then make claims that they do not get the advertised mpg that are on the window sticker.

Now this would be all fine and dandy if they would tell us how they test them for this. But nope, it's all hush hush so we are supposed to take their reports as true mpg.

Well that is a bunch of BS..

An article I read this morning mentioned that the next Expedition may have an aluminum body and 10 speed transmission. When I went back to the article a few hours later, that info along with a 'source' stating the Flex is ending production, was removed.

Peter

I know the Expedition was almost going to be cut from the line up.. Then Ford decided to continue with it which is why the Expedition/Navigator got a mild refresh. I am nearly 100% certain that they new models coming down the pipeline will be aluminum as well. The mild refresh was just to get them by till then and it is working very well with sales.

I know the Expedition was almost going to be cut from the line up.. Then Ford decided to continue with it which is why the Expedition/Navigator got a mild refresh. I am nearly 100% certain that they new models coming down the pipeline will be aluminum as well. The mild refresh was just to get them by till then and it is working very well with sales.

Your right, 18 model year in 17 is the info I have. Explorer wont be far behind. The 10 speed trans scares me though, won't that thing always be "hunting" for the highest gear?

We should also see a Police version thats a little more than the current Expedition SSV version. They need to get some of that Suburban 3/4 ton market that GM lost when they stopped making the 3/4 ton Suburban.

The helmet comment makes no sense is an apple the same as a orange....?

Your right, 18 model year in 17 is the info I have. Explorer wont be far behind. The 10 speed trans scares me though, won't that thing always be "hunting" for the highest gear?

We should also see a Police version thats a little more than the current Expedition SSV version. They need to get some of that Suburban 3/4 ton market that GM lost when they stopped making the 3/4 ton Suburban.

The new Ford Raptor will have a 10 speed. Hunting for gears will definitely happen going uphill, towing, or WoT but I doubt you'll notice anything on regular driving. I think the smartest thing to do with those 4 extra gears is to make efficiency at highway speeds a lot better. For example, I want to be hitting way less than 2K RPM at 80 or 90 MPH. Also, utilize some of those extra gears to make speeds like 25, 35, and 50 a lot more efficient since many speed limits are set around that and the current transmissions are geared to make 60 and 65 the most efficient.
That is of course, the current gen Explorer even gets that 10 speed automatic.

Also, the comment about the flex dying. I personally wouldn't buy a Flex and I think it's a glorified minivan but I can see why some people would buy it.

Also, the comment about the flex dying. I personally wouldn't buy a Flex and I think it's a glorified minivan but I can see why some people would buy it.
It looks like it will be taking the MKT with it.
Jan to May sales; Flex - 9004, MKT - 1727, Explorer - 89,127.

Peter

Last I checked, motorcycle helmets do not have airbags in them to deploy.

Un hum...:eek::D

hovding-airbag-helmet.jpg

It looks like it will be taking the MKT with it.
Jan to May sales; Flex - 9004, MKT - 1727, Explorer - 89,127.

Peter

I think Ford is going to milk the Flex until they can't any longer. The platform is well paid off and although not a lot of sales, they are still earning Ford money.

However, when platforms change over, the flex will be axed.

PS - There should be a new Aviator coming down the pipeline that should be replacing the MKT.

The only thing I would agree with CR on is that the A pillar/post is rather large in the EX but I'd rather that just in case some how we ended up on our roof and having a chance to make it out.

I was at a Traffic Incident training session the other week and the Instructor said the larger A pillars in most new vehicles combined with turning left is the number one cause of pedestrian incidents now.

Trade off for stronger safety cage and improved side impact crash standards I suppose.

I'd 100% believe that

With all that being said, I'm happy Ford did the Platinum as it is definitely the most luxurious and beautiful Ford to date. I hate having to choose between options when I want everything. Hopefully, they will slap on a 10 speed automatic, in the future, SYNC 3, and I'll totally be in the market for another SUV.

Be careful what you wish for. I currently have a 2014 Jeep Cherokee with the ZF nine speed transmission and that's the reason I'll be trading it in on a 2016 Explorer. The nine speed is a still a work in progress but Chrysler decided to put it in these vehicles and it is one of the worst driving vehicles I've ever owned. I won't go into it in a Ford forum but check out some forums relating specifically to the 2014+ Jeep Cherokee and you will see constant posts about nine speed transmission issues. I can't get my 2016 Explorer soon enough!

On the whole, I disagree with most of the CR article. The only thing I agree with is that the left footrest IS pushed too far inward and can get quite uncomfortable on long trips.

Tony

Back