JBL upgrade to 7" DVD - harness help needed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

JBL upgrade to 7" DVD - harness help needed

Ourobos

Reaction score
City, State
Bowling Green, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
All Mustangs
I've search.. And my specific questions couldn't be answered. Sorry if I missed it..

I have an 97 Explorer with the JBL audio. I plan on installing and indash DVD/GPS unit. I am going to remove the 6 disc changer in the console completely. I am looking for part numbers for the SIMPLEST plug and play harnesses. If possible, i'd like to use the amp that's built into the DVD player, but if that requires rewiring the whole truck, I'll retain the JBL amp for power. I'd also like to retain my power antenna. Although my rear sub is blown, I plan on replacing it, so if there is a harness that retains that without running wires all the way back there, that would help too. Can anyone hook me up?

Thanks
Brandon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

WOW, no one?

I've search.. And my specific questions couldn't be answered. Sorry if I missed it..

I have an 97 Explorer with the JBL audio. I plan on installing and indash DVD/GPS unit. I am going to remove the 6 disc changer in the console completely. I am looking for part numbers for the SIMPLEST plug and play harnesses. If possible, i'd like to use the amp that's built into the DVD player, but if that requires rewiring the whole truck, I'll retain the JBL amp for power. I'd also like to retain my power antenna. Although my rear sub is blown, I plan on replacing it, so if there is a harness that retains that without running wires all the way back there, that would help too. Can anyone hook me up?

Thanks
Brandon

So I just replaced my stock in an 06 Explorer with a DVD/ GPS Nav. I recommend going to Cruchfield's website. You just plug in your veehicle and options. I looked at yours and there is a bunch of differentoptions that have specifically to do with the type of factory radio is in. Anyway, once you do that and ten go down to Installation Parts and Tools, they will have the correct harness to plug into the back of your radio.

It's not a direct plug and play, as you will need to wire that harness to the new radio harness, but that is easy to do at your kitchen table (I don't know what your level of experience is). As for the sub in the back, there is already going to be some sort of wire going to it. I don't know if it's in the OEM harness or if they separate it out.

The JBL is going to want to push to the sub through RCA's (assuming you have an amp back there pushing the sub). If there are no RCA's, you will likely need to run them. You can run a standard speaker wire to the sub amp, but then you get into needing a crossover to isolate the frequency and all that. Easier to just run the RCA's and let the head unit deal with it.This is not hard though, just take your time and plan ahead. Once you get past the front dash, generally you can slip in between the headliner and the trim and it just disapears, but that depends on the specific model.

The JBL will likely have a wire that controls the power antenna. Just match it up on the new harness from Crutchfield.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you need clarrification or any other advice.

BN

BigNutz - Thanks, did as you suggested, only harness shown to me is the typical speaker, power, ground, ign harness :
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120705008/Receiver-Wire-Harness.html?tp=2977

I know it's not that simple, as I know there is at least an amplifier harness.

Corkey - Can't really say thanks. Your generic search helped none. As I said, I searched. My criteria are :

1 - harness to let me use my receiver's amp if possible, JBL amp if it saves me rewiring the whole truck
2 - Power antanna and sub harness available that's plug and play.

If your powerful search is so good, LINK me directly do one of those that tells that, otherwise, you input isn't needed.

Not what I'm looking for but thanks. Not hooking a 9v battery to 'test' for speaker wires, not wanting to rewire the whole car. Wanting my antanna to go up and down, etc. etc. The way I'm reading CobraGuy, I have to run a harness all the way from the back. I just got done putting that panel back in after upgrading to an 8" subwoofer.. Not in the mood to do it all again. Every other head unit i've installed (I'd estimate 50), all necessary wiring was right there somewhere in the dash. Is Ford / JBL that silly to put it all in the back with no easy upgrade access?

Hey Thanks.. I'll take it to a buds stereo shop if I don't feel like pulling the panels all again. Seems CobraGuy has it figured out for us though. Just looking for any other options, which I don't think exist.

Back