Joshua Tree Night Run: Sept. 3rd

Ken Cooke

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Riverside, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Rubicon - Tomb Raider
Trail Run: Sunday, September 3rd, 2006 at 7 p.m. (Note: New Time)
Meeting Location: Whitewater, CA - Eastbound reststop - Interstate 10 at 7 p.m. Departure time will be at 7:30 p.m. promptly.

Meeting Map

Difficulty Rating: 2+

After meeting up on Sunday night at 7 p.m., we will have a brief driver's meeting, and travel down Interstate 10 until the I-10 and Hwy 86 interchange where we will exit at Dillon Road and gas up at Love's Truck stop. Good news - they have a Carl's Jr. where we can grab a quick bite to eat and load up on sodas to keep us awake. From there, we will drive up Dillon Rd., to Berdoo Canyon Road where we will play on the mildly-difficult entrance to the Joshua Tree National Park, and travel along the Geology Tour road. At Jumbo Rocks, we will set up our telescopes and look at whatever stars are present in the early evening sky. If my friend Chris Glass shows up, he has a neat set of night-vision goggles which detect coyotes, people, etc. and are a blast to play around with.

From there, we will drive the length of the Joshua Tree National Park until we reach the Old Dale Road turnoff. From there, the possibilities are endless. From lower Brooklyn Mine Jeep Trail to "The Bowl" to Iron Age Mine Road - we will have hours of fun trails which will last up until midnight. From there, we will exit Iron Age Mine Road and travel approximately 14 miles back into Twentynine Palms where we can grab breakfast and coffee at Denny's Restaurant, a full tank of gas, and call it a night.

There is a Motel 6 in the city of Twentynine Palms, CA for those who wish to stay in Twentynine Palms rather than try and drive home late at night.

A CB Radio is absolutely required. Plan ahead, and get yours installed today.
Stock headlights will work fine for the trails we will encounter. Auxillary ligthing is not required.
A Telescope kit is optional - I will be glad to share time on mine as we scour the cosmos in between running trails.

RSVP (so we know to wait for you): thedesertoutlaw@yahoo.com or (951) 255-1589 cell
See you there!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ooo that sounds cool... I've done a good bit of rock climbing in J-tree but havnt done any offroading at all.. too bad I wont be in cali at all till xmas time.

Baja Pole Line Run
JStrider said:
ooo that sounds cool... I've done a good bit of rock climbing in J-tree but havnt done any offroading at all.. too bad I wont be in cali at all till xmas time.

dsc02291_500x375.jpg

You should check out this trail run since it coincides with the holidays...kinda.

Our group is on the ready. Chris Glass' built Explorer will represent the Explorer Forum and we'll be glad to have him. Anyone else from this board is more than welcome. See you in JT!

Any one go? how was it? any pictures of run?

Ken Cooke said:
We had a great time. You should have came out to represent.
Yeah too bad my 2wd pos is not worthy of a offroad night run :( besides I am still getting settled into thenew house or I would hve come and slowed you fools down :p

Next time, Nate

94explorer2x4 said:
Yeah too bad my 2wd pos is not worthy of a offroad night run :(

Berdoo Cyn. Rd. hosts many rented sedans and front wheel drive SUVs thanks to mountain bikers and climbers who visit Joshua Tree NP daily. I have spotted Volvos and Hondas on this pickup truck road in the past. So, not to worry. All that is needed is a good yank strap when needed, and you'd be out of trouble in no time.

Brooklyn Mine Jeep Trail is indeed 4WD-only, but we could get you in and out without even a ding...
a-rock-crawler.jpg

Ken Cooke said:
Berdoo Cyn. Rd. hosts many rented sedans and front wheel drive SUVs thanks to mountain bikers and climbers who visit Joshua Tree NP daily. I have spotted Volvos and Hondas on this pickup truck road in the past. So, not to worry. All that is needed is a good yank strap when needed, and you'd be out of trouble in no time.

Brooklyn Mine Jeep Trail is indeed 4WD-only, but we could get you in and out without even a ding...
a-rock-crawler.jpg

Well then next time fo' sure!

Back