Just a little info I found out while doing my engine swap! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just a little info I found out while doing my engine swap!

Redneckfordf250

Reaction score
City, State
Backwoods of AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
94Explorer 96ranger
Figured I would let people know about this before somebody goes through the trouble like I did.

Recently I bought a 94 Explorer 4x4 4.0L with a bad engine.
The thing came with a parts truck (92 ranger)
I got the engine from the parts truck into the explorer and turns out the belt routing is different you have to use the ranger belt routing.

Then found out that the parts truck engine harness has a square and round main harness plug where as the explorer has both squares. So you have to take the wiring harness for the engine off the old engine and put it on the new engine.

I was told by many this would be a bolt in swap. So much for that. LOL Oh well will be joining this and the stock part of the forum with my new engine. I just figured some would like to know this.

Another thing to know also Jeep wrangler wheels do fit this gen explorers with no modifications.
Trav

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Another thing to keep in mind the 1994 explorer 4.0L is a SEFI engine and the 92 ranger 4.0L is a batch fire fuel injection engine. So the in injectors wiring is different on the two engine harnesses. Also the explorer engine will have a camshaft position sensor and the ranger engine wont.
You will need to use the explorer harness and you will need the cam sensor.

My 94 explorer isn't SEFI it is just like the engine I swapped in. Also I looked their is no cam sensor in it as far as I can see.
Trav

ok maybe I am wrong on the SEFI. My bad if I am. If it is SEFI I will be a lot more happier with it as I work on Harleys which the newer ones are SEFI also so I know them better.
But if it is will this affect anything when I put this 92 engine in? Will the 92 engine run SEFI if the wiring is their?
The computer is what controls it so I don't see why it wouldn't end up working.
So I guess I will be swapping the harness over and call it good.
Trav

It should be SEFI 94 is the year ford explorers got it. It might just be hard to see the cam position sensor, but its there.

You will have to switch the harnesses PLUS add the camshaft position sensor to the 92 engine.

where is the camshaft position sensor located at? I have the old engine out so I should be able to find it on the old engine. Is putting a CPS on the 92 engine going to be easy?
Trav

its located on the back side of the engine where the distributor would be its covered by the intake kind of.

Its not gonna be hard to change. The other engine will have a stub shaft in the distributor hole. Just remove the stub shaft and put the CMS in. You will have to check your manual because it has to be clocked to your engine. It has a little window in it.

It looks like you will have to put the EGR vacuum regulator on the 92 engine also. If it isn't hooked up it will most likely send a code.

Ok I found it now thanks. I will have to get a Chiltion or Haynes manual soon to figure out how that goes in. Also going to have to wait till I get money to pick up an intake manifold gasket so I can put a new one on.

Where is the EGR vacuum regulator at on these things?

So much for a direct swap. Looks like I will be driving the 84 Bronco 2 a little bit longer.
Trav

Ha sorry man I know how that goes.

you have the CMS that doesn't require the special tool. Its really easy to do and i'm sure you can find the instructions online somewhere or go to the library and photo copy them to save money for your gaskets.

The regulator is on the side of the intake on the 94 engine its black and has vacuum hoses and wires going to it.

No need to say sorry isn't your fault I really should have done my research.
Ok remember seeing the regulator.
Thanks but I still won't have the money for the gaskets till the 23rd which is my brother's birthday so I won't have it probably done till the weekend because of school.
I will just buy the gaskets and manual then unless my dad knows how to replace it but I am not sure right now.
It won't be my first time pulling an intake manifold though so it shouldn't be to hard I should be able to get the whole project done in a day or two depending on weather.
At least the intake manifold will be off and out of the way then all I will have to do is drop the camshaft position sensor in then hook up the wires and call it good. Then set the old engine somewhere I can rebuild it to have on hand as I am not sure what I will end up doing with it.

I know it is a little off topic but do you happen to know what to use to glue a windshield in. I was able to save the windshield from the parts truck and it is the same as my Bronco 2 so I need to put it in.
Trav

Thanks I just about got everything going. I just made a build thread so go ahead and look for that guys and gals.
Trav

Back