Owns 10,000 Marbles
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
'17 F-150 FX4
Having sold my Garmin 7200 a few months back with the intention of going in-dash, but becoming frustrated that nearly every unit has blue button lighting (the Trac is entirely green, of course), I've been without navigaiton for too long. I absolutely favor Kenwood's Garmin-based navigation because of its accuracy, but hate that they sell everything in a black chassis with blue lighting. I have the same problem with Pioneer's Z line (and have read too many iffy reviews of the D3's navigation engine).

Somewhere I read that the new DNX-8120 will have changeable LED backlighting. For the life of me, though, I cannot re-find that article. If I can set the lighting from blue to green on this, I'll be the first one in line waving cash. They now use Parrot for integrated Bluetooth, which is another plus. I can live with the black chassis.

dnx8120.jpg

dnx8120sourcescreen.jpg

Does anyone know about this unit (I'm looking at you audio installers who lurk here)? Especially changing the lighting colors? If so, spill it. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've had kenwood units before that had that option in them though I think it was red to green. I wouldn't be surprised if this one had it. Why not go into a car audio store and play with it? See if you can in fact change the button colors. If none are around you or something I'll go into one tomorrow and see if they have that unit on the wall and if I can change the colors....

I've had kenwood units before that had that option in them though I think it was red to green. I wouldn't be surprised if this one had it. Why not go into a car audio store and play with it? See if you can in fact change the button colors. If none are around you or something I'll go into one tomorrow and see if they have that unit on the wall and if I can change the colors....

Thanks fellas.

They're not being released until 3/08. I called Wicked C.A.S. earlier (only outfit currently proactively marketing it), but their information is limited to the photos they picked up on the internet. They believe that the external controls stay blue, but that the screen color may be changed.

They also recommended the DNX5120, which is a direct competitor to the AVIC-D3. Again, though, they did not know the color spectrum, and their site snapshot only shows magenta, yellowish and teal (yuck, yuck, and yuck).

813_800_503.jpg

Is it too much to ask that form and function go hand-in-hand?

Like a little kid, though, I printed out a shot of the 5120 and cut it to DDin size so I can "test fit" the look in the ST. If it comes in green, I'll likely go with it because (a) it's powered by Garmin, (b) it has the colors I want, (c) it's cheaper (I can't forget that I am putting it in a 4 MY year old vehicle), (d) it's easily bypassed, and (e) did I mention it would match colors? :D

I can live without the Bluetooth (have a Blackberry + BT headset now that's really fine) and advanced audio features; after all, my system will remain stock with the exception of this HU.

Not exactly a Chip Foose mockup, but I like it. :)

Attachments

• kw.JPG
    kw.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,277

What's that button on the right that says "DN"? I'm thinking sunroof, but just can't tell...

Rear power slider--behind the back seat. It has a vent position when you push it (opens about 2 inches) and a full down when you turn it to the left.

Oh, Sport Trac... You are livin! So, you're going to buy the Kenwood? Dooo it!

Well, as soon as I confirm that the buttons have a green illumination color, I'll place a deposit on them with an audio place so I can get one from the first shipment (I PSed green on the cutout). :D

I absolutely miss my Garmin 7200. Today the gal and I went all around Philly scouting out the different hospitals she'll rank when fixing her rotation schedule (pre-residency). I much prefer having the GPS route me through, e.g., North Philly, than trying to rely on Google Maps printouts.

Though the 8120 has everything plus the kitchen sink, I know I'd never use it to its full potential because I am keeping my stock system. While the 5120's screen is .9" smaller than the 8120 (and the Garmin 7200), from the "test fit," I think it should be large enough. In addition, it comes with a USB-in port, same navigation engine (Garmin's, which I really, really like), DVD playback, etc. I have the install kit and harness from my almost-purchase of the Kenwood 8019, so I'll be ready to slap this in the dash as soon as it arrives.

Sweet! Yes sir, with a hospital rotation, you have to have navigation... Google printouts, not gonna work real well.

Just make sure it's out of view... it's too pretty to resist... Excellent choice!

She's doing the rotating. :) I'm about five months from my J.D. and nine from working at a Philly firm.

She did, however, give me a lot of crap tonight for getting rid of the 7200 before I had a replacement. She's not to fond of wandering down narrow, generally unsafe streets. :)

Back