Keypad Stopped Working, but still lights up?!? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Keypad Stopped Working, but still lights up?!?

carguy828

Reaction score
City, State
Sugar Grove, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Eddie Bauer 4.0L 4x4
Recently my keypad just stopped working randomly. When I hit a button it still lights up, however neither the [78/89] lock function nor my factory code do anything.

My remotes, alarm and power locks (all OE) still work fine. However, just today my door ajar light came on randomly when no doors were ajar (opened and shut them all, including both hatches). This leads me to believe that it might be the module in the C-Pillar because I heard it also controls the door ajar warning light?!? or might it still be something else?

Thanks in advance!
Steven

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

figured out today that the 7/8 key no longer works - it doesn't light up the keypad when pressed.

Now the fact that it won't lock makes sense, however this key isn't part of my code, could one bad key cause the whole pad to not work right?!?

alright so I got a new keypad from Ford and put it in $65.

At first it did the same thing, the 7/8 key was unresponsive. So I took off the door panel and wiggled some connections around. Now all the buttons work however the lock function still does not work and my code has shifted one number. It used to be 60415 and now its 04153. I thought maybe when messing with it this somehow got set as a personal code, so I went through the steps to erase it and nothing, that is still what it believes is the factory code (because my original factory code does not work).

any thoughts?

Hey carguy, interesting/frustrating problem you have. Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestions to help you. Instead, I have a question, since I have a similar problem in that my 1/2 button stopped working. How did you get the door panel off to access the keypad? Is it difficult? Any help you can provide would be appreciated!

I have a similar problem with my keypad. It works, but not all the time and usually takes many tries to get it to unlock. This has been getting worse with time. Lock function works perfectly fine however. I have a feeling that one or more of the buttons are almost dead as I have to really press firmly to get it to work. Think I'll try adding a new code that doesn't use those buttons and see if that works for now.

Back