KKM True-Rev or K&N filtercharger?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

KKM True-Rev or K&N filtercharger??

Slick

Reaction score
City, State
Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Sport 2wd
I have heard a lot about both the KKM true-rev sport induction kit and also the K&N filtercharger, so I am wondering everyone's opinions on which you think would give me better HP gains in my 95 explorer sport (4.0L v6). thank you

slick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have had the K&N for a while now and I did not notice a very big difference in performance or gas mileage. At least I don't have to buy another air filter though. I never had a KKM but have only heard good things about it. If I had to do it over again I would probably go with the KKM.

Drop in or package?

If K&N makes a 'Generation II Filtercharger Performance Kit' for your model, it includes a conical filter along with a revamped intake and quasi-cool box. A drop in can improve CFM but not like the KKM and the K&N with the additional plumbing. The KKM along with a ram air mod and a cold air box built around it will really deliver the extra air to your engine, but that's only really a plus if you allow the exhaust to breathe better at the same time by upgrading the exhaust system in tandem.
For drop-in filters also check out the AMSoil, it has a better reputation for filtering out damaging sub 20 micron particulate matter.

Slick,
I only have experience with the KKM. I went with the KKM over the K&N mainly because of price and I am extremely happy with my choice.

View

[Edited by config on 10-29-2000 at 02:13 PM]

Slick, I was able to pick up a used K&N Filtercharger off a friend for under $100, so that's why I went with K&N. As far as I know, there are no kits for the Explorer right now that replace the intake tube (between MAS and TB). So basically all the kits have a larger filter and a MAS adapter. I really like my K&N and really noticed a difference when I put it on. It was my first mod. Between the K&N and KKM, I think we're comparing apples with apples, so go for the KKM since it's cheaper.

"As far as I know, there are no kits for the Explorer". I have a catalog that lists the K&N Generation II FIPK for "1995 Explorer 4.0L 6-cyl., 5.0L V-8 From $179.95" The catalog is a generic one that shops buy and put their label on, in this case ECOH, but they also list "96 up Explorers" also. K&N will definitely have a list at their website. But, $180 seems like a lot to me, I made up an insulated cold air box for less than $20 and installed the switchable Ram Air for $22 in parts. Mileage is much better with the ram air mod.

cold air box

Do you have any pictures of your cold air box. I looking at getting a KKM and I would really like to know what you did to make that cold air box.

KKM

If you are looking for a simple bolt on mod with out a hassle, buy the KKM. It performs better than the K&N equivalent and it is cheaper. Neither is going to give you much hp gain, but they will give you better throttle response. If you are looking for a noticable change in performance then I definitely recommend the KKM over the K&N.

View

[Edited by 2001ExpSport on 10-29-2000 at 03:16 PM]

won't pass smog???

From the KKM web site FAQ:
Q: Is the True-Rev Induction kit emissions legal in my area?
A: The True-Rev Induction Kit is designed for competition use and
though it does not eliminate any required emissions devices, it does not
carry any emissions exemption certificates. The bottom line is check
with your local and state testing stations for guidelines on engine
modifications.

That makes it K & N for me here in CA.

You can still use the KKM

Just take it out and install your stock box. It's 15 minutes worth of work. If I lived in Cali. I would do it.

K&N just spent more money to get it certified. They are the same type of filter media only difference is a piece of paper.

[Edited by 2001ExpSport on 10-29-2000 at 03:14 PM]

Re: You can still use the KKM

Originally posted by 2001ExpSport
Just take it out and install your stock box. It's 15 minutes worth of work. If I lived in Cali. I would do it.
K&N just spent more money to get it certified. They are the same type of filter media only difference is a
piece of paper.

------------------------------------------------------
Like I want to keep the stock airbox around, then in 2 years drag it out and reinstall it for the smog test? then pull it out and store it for 2 more years? then again every 2 years??

SKREW THAT! The K & N 'piece of paper' is worth it to me.

It is good to have all your mods DOT and/or EPA certified. All of mine are, and I'm sure it's saved me some hassles at the inspection station. However, many people leave their KKM's in for inspection, and the guys don't say anything. Either they assume it's legal, or let it slide. A cop harrassed me once as I got out of my truck in a parking lot for having my Pilot driving lights on. It just so happened I had the paperwork in my truck and stuffed it in his face. He was pissed, but couldn't do anything. That reminds me, I still have to print out the law showing that my knight rider lights are legal... Better go do that.

According to this site : http://www.kustomz.com/cat2.html

the KKN True Rev Sport Induction kit only costs $93?? I thought these were in the upper $150-$200?? Please advise me to whats goin on if u can, thank you

slick

The KKM is just the conical filter and adapter. The $150-200 price was for the K&N. I'm not sure what you get with the K&N, but I would assume a filter, adapter and intake. You won't need that stuff with the KKM.

NOMI, I still have my box and if whenever I have to take the smog test and if it doesn't pass I will retake with the old box. It's just a filter, we are not talking 50hp gains here. If it's a hassle to you to change it then get the K&N, no big deal.

Hay Slick... What kind of filter do you have now? Is it the round cone type? If so just get a K&N replacement air filter and remove your air box. You will need to put some foam insulation tape on the filter for a tight fit but it works the same as either "kit" and is much less $$.

Phi844;
Here is one of the pictures of the install:

View

The other pictures of the ram air install are located at this thread:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=18400&pagenumber=4

BTW, I just returned from a road trip and had a chance to get before and after mileage figures with (17.73mpg)and without (15.53mpg)the ram air opened. I was pulling the trailer so this is pretty impressive for a fully loaded truck. Also, the comments about swapping the stock air box with the KKM don't accurately present exactly how easy it is to take out the KKM. You merely remove one sheet metal screw, unplug the MAF sensor and loosen a clamp. In under one minute the unit, as a whole is out. The stock airbox snaps into place in under one minute. Is that too much work for an occasional emissions check or warranty work at the dealer? Doesn't seem like it to me.

Thanks!!

Thanks bluescat, that helps a lot.

Well... I havent seen the K&N but I have the KKM and it does bypass emissions devices (contrary to what the website claims) So you have to put your airbox in every time... personally, I would go K&N just because its legal... and the heat shroud couldnt hurt either. But if your planning on not being emmissions legal anyways, go KKM and save a few bucks... but build some sort of cool air intake... when it gets hot, it can bog down... oh well.

nick

I noticed a few people said their was a K&N for 95/96. I have a 97 sport any differences? If their is a kit for it does anyone know the part #?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

K&N info for 91-94

Welllll...according to the performance tips section, the K&N kit for the 91-92 (which will fit my 93 I hope)is $89 which is the same as the KKM...so why not?

Does anyone have any new info on the 4.0L Performance shop mentioned...aka Central Coast High Performance..like do they have a website or a 800 number now?

Back