Lemon Law

AZmom

Reaction score
City, State
AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Sport
Hi everyone,

I need some assistance with lemon law and it's qualifications. I want to stress this is not for my Explorer Sport-- it's still wonderful and I love it!!!!

I have a F-250 diesel (2013). Purchased for mom to haul our horses, hay, etc. we had it for a year now and 12K miles. In January it began sporadic knocking, etc and never throwing a check engine light. I was told bad gas. In April it went in again, they performed a costly TSB which includes replacing all exhaust. September it went back, no problem found. It went back again in September where a black box was inserted. My mom received the call stating they would service it. (Yes I will call to gain more details).

The issue, she refuses to drive it! She is terrified of it leaving her on the side of the road, and she isn't familiar with anything outside of Gilbert. I ordered a 2015 F150 for her to replace diesel. We are expecting in November. Now how long (typically) does it take to lemon law this thing? I can loan her my truck, but the diesel is trade to the new one on order (deal will cost me taxes). So is this worth pursuing? Per Arizona laws I have fulfilled the 4 visits. I'm calling a dealer today to pick their brains on the issue-it's not geographically desireable.

I am not versed in this area and need some assistance to the members with guidance here. The diesel was dropped off for service so I am not in possession of it till later today. The one item known, is my dealer is aware I'm beyond angry for a 65K truck that knocks and stutters at 45mph unless you punch the gas. It regens as it should, I have tried everything....help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know you have a Sport but why are you asking on here about it? Why not go to TDS or PS.org and post with people who are firmiliar with this issue. I'm a member of both and there have been many discussions on there about these issues (mostly 11s and some 12s).

I know you are asking in general about the lemon law.. but I'd highly recommend going to the proper forums of the vehicles and talking with actual owners. A lot of members seem to know more about these trucks then the techs at dealerships.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Check your local statutes but in my state, lemon laws apply to light duty trucks. Not sure your diesel "super duty" would qualify. Also, if it weighs more than 8k lbs, lemon law would probably not be implicated. Further, the repair attempt must be for the "same" repair. The way you described your repair issue, it might go either way. Also, you must file a claim with the manufacturer within the first year or 12k miles. Going to the dealer may not suffice. Good luck.

I have had a vehicle replaced under the Lemon Law in Wisconsin. EVERY STATE has different lemon laws. You should research this yourself (I handled my case myself) or if you are unable to do that contact an attorney. My understanding is most states have a 1 year limit on the lemon law. If your state is the same it may be too late already.

I am admittedly not well versed in this arena, either. But I don't see that this is necessarily a lemon law issue.

My guess is that an easy fix is available, you just have to do the due diligence to figure it out. I recommend superduty forums and related ford truck forums for knowledge. I also concur with the poster above, many of those techs at the Ford dealer are not very well versed.

Should you HAVE to do the due diligence? No, I would be pissed, myself. That being said I doubt what you have yet constitutes any lemon law results.

Lemon Laws vary by State, but typically require the vehicle to require repeated repairs of a major component, or a significant problem that was not able to be repaired in a reasonable amount of time.

Not wanting to drive a vehicle because of perceived problems likely won't qualify, but who knows? Well, an attorney would.

The best answer IMHO is "Consult an attorney, not the internet, to see what your rights are"

AZmom,

I hope things work out for you !! Keep us updated on your findings....

Here's just the scoop.... our truck does fall into Arizona lemon law. However we ordered a 2015 F150 Ecooboost. Our new truck is on its way. It is in Kansas City en route to Arizona. So, I have parked the truck until I need to make a hay run....so its barely being driven at all. We are anticipating it will be here next week. Since we are trading it in, and our paperwork is done with the exception of taking possession...our nightmare is nearly over.

Positive note--still LOVE the Sport! It is by far the most favorite vehicle I have ever owned.

Here's just the scoop.... our truck does fall into Arizona lemon law. However we ordered a 2015 F150 Ecooboost. Our new truck is on its way. It is in Kansas City en route to Arizona. So, I have parked the truck until I need to make a hay run....so its barely being driven at all. We are anticipating it will be here next week. Since we are trading it in, and our paperwork is done with the exception of taking possession...our nightmare is nearly over.

Positive note--still LOVE the Sport! It is by far the most favorite vehicle I have ever owned.

I understand why you went this route but it is also unfortunate you didn't follow through with the lemon law. Now some poor guy is going to buy your vehicle and have the same headaches you did where the lemon law would require Ford to buy it back and it would be documented.

I hope you will love your F150.. they look beautiful and I have no concerns over the aluminum body BUT as a 1st year model, there will be growing pains and TSBs, that I can assure you.

Back