Lift gate rust behind emblem/removal of license plate light bracket | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lift gate rust behind emblem/removal of license plate light bracket

ABNTGR

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
I noticed today that i have what appears to be a bit of rust on the lift gate behind the Ford emblem. It appears that the plastic bracket has rubbed off the paint from vibration I guess.
Any idea how to remove the bracket that has the emblem and the light bulbs? I removed the 4 screws that flank the bulbs. But after I take out the screws it's still attached to the sheet metal behind the Ford emblem...Do I just need to pull it out or is there another screw or some kind of clip? It looks like the emblem comes off on it's own and there may be something behind that, but I don't like pulling hard on the plastic if that's not how it comes off.

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a post about this issue buried pretty deep in this area somewhere. At any rate, if you have all the bolts/screws out (my memory seems to only recall 2 bolts that were also rusting) then there are just 2 plastic press fasteners keeping it in. With an angled plastic press fastener removal tool you should be able to get it to come off without scratching anything. I always have this trim set on hand to do these kinds of jobs. http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-auto-trim-and-molding-tool-set-67021.html

Had the same problem. Only way to get the plaque off was to remove the inside cover of the tailgate. Not too difficult once the inside handle is removed, the cover is held in with clips. Use of the plastic tools that Gibby noted, will help to pry the panel from the tailgate. Then carefully pull the cover off. Then remove the dust cover. There is a white clip on the centre/top of the blue oval that has to be depressed from the inside of the tailgate to release the plaque.

The plaque has a gasket on the top horizontal edge on either side of the blue oval, but no gasket on the top half of the blue oval. So there is direct contact with the edge of emblem and the paint. Solution is to glue a strip of gasket material on the top half of the emblem. Yes, Ford did a half ass job on this one.

I have a pic of the inside off the plaque if someone wants to pm me their email.

Thank's, Bill and Gibby! I'll add remove interior panel to my to-do list!

I removed mine to paint the chrome black, only took the (4?) screws out. I had some stains running down my tailgate from it, so I wanted to clean it and get those stains scrubbed off.

No need to remove the interior panel, mine took some force but came off just fine.

Back